The hairstyles at the Fall 2013 Roberto Cavalli and Jil Sander shows in Milan yesterday had our Redken Creative Consultant Guido saying "let it shine" by the end of the day. "Using shine rather dry feels much more luxurious to me at the moment," he said backstage at Cavalli, his third show of the day.
Neither show had a specific point of reference - a period in time, a style icon - but it may go without saying that at this point two such iconic designers are in fact their own reference. Guido referred to the "Cavalli woman" when describing the super shiny, easy going, and ultimately "Cavalli-chic" style he created for the show. He cited the pure, minimal "Jil Sander girl" when explaining the sleek, glistening pony he created for Jil Sander's Fall 2013 show, emphasizing a tie to the consistently relevant, modern styles she creates in reference to none other than "her woman."
Create the Look:
Start by making a center part on damp hair and then blow-dry straight with a boar bristle brush. Over-apply first Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine Intense (launches MAY 1) from lengths to ends when hair is dry, finishing with first Redken control addict 28 high control hairspray and then a generous mist of Redken shine flash 02 glistening mist for a very strong, shiny look.
"The girls should really look 'drenched' when they come out, for a look that's about wet shine but also has a certain boyish, tough quality - and boyish also in the sense that's it's easy, and nonchalent. And the finer the hair the better here - I almost wanted it to look a bit 'spindly'." -Guido.
Create the Look:
1. Apply Redken satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion to damp hair and blow-dry hair straight.
2. Apply Redken hardwear 16 super strong gel to only the crown of the head, applying section by section and combing straight back (no part), being sure not the pull the comb all the way through the lengths as the ponytail should not have gel.
3. Secure hair into a low, tight ponytail at the nape of the neck with an elastic, and then take one section of hair and wrap around elastic, securing with a bobby pin.
4. Spray the hair in the ponytail with Redken iron shape 11 finishing thermal spray and then flatiron the pony unti stick-straight.
5. Finish entire style with Redken shine flash 02 glistening mist focusing on the crown so the finished style has a slick, wet finish.
"The slick shine is the emphasis here, and creates a nice contrast with the matte fabrics in the collection. The key to keeping the crown wet-looking and close to the head is making sure to add gel to each layer, not just on top. Overall it's simple, minimal, and true to the identity of the Jil Sander girl." -Guido.
[Roberto Cavalli Photos - Courtesy of Redken]
[Jil Sander Photos - Courtesy of Redken]