“Barbering is an art that many hairdressers shy away from because they are intimidated by the technicality of a men's cut," says Arielle Calamari of Aurelio Salon in Howell, NJ, "but like with any design, it is all about the shape of the head; that's where you'll find the areas you need more height, de-bulking, etc. The intimidation with men's cutting is that you will see everything, but that's your opportunity to showcase your best work.”
Today, most men are more than wash and go; they want style – think Jared Leto’s man bun, Adam Levine’s slicked fade and Bruno Mars’ famous pomp. The shorter styles are classics, dating back to James Dean’s rockabilly coif and Elvis Presley's legendary pompadour. These classic styling techniques yield retro-yet-modern, hip styles that can last for at least two days – style on the first day, rework the second with a blow dryer and shampoo.
Get the Look: James Dean Rockabilly
rwCZtDB1ImSTfSAOr99cNXXMxSGaSpMUTQ44=" style="display:inline-block;position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" frameborder="0" height="594" width="451">
1. Shampoo with KMS California HAIR PLAY Texture Shampoo to create texture/bulk for style ready hair.
2. Use the KMS California Add Volume Body Build Detangler to increase volume by 40%.
3. Dry hair in a forward motion, use KMS California FREE SHAPE Quick Blow Dry Spray to speed up drying.
4. Apply KMS Californian HAIR PLAY Clay Creme; heat up product in hands and work it though hair.
5. Comb sides tight to the head and top up and back to desired look.
[Images: Getty Images]