courtesy of Karla Valenzuela (@kolor.me.karlaa) x Sam Villa
Karla Valenzuela, Sam Villa ambassador and Redken artist, has created a round braid hairstyle that will make your client stand out from the crowd.
“I’m always a fan of adding a special element to level up hair for an occasion; this is a fun attention-grabber, and something different from an everyday look,” says Valenzuela.
Get the Look:
- Prep hair for a high ponytail by doing a directional blow-out using the Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Hair Dryer and Redken Root Lifter.
- Direct hair up from the cheekbones to the top of the crown and from the nape to the top of the crown.
- Gather all hair into a high ponytail with a 6" sewing elastic, tie both ends together and insert two bobby pins on each end.
- Insert one of the bobby pins diagonally to the base of the pony and pull the other end of the elastic with the bobby pin; wrap around the ponytail clockwise with tension.
- Keep wrapping until the ponytail is secure and lock it with the second bobby pin inserted at the base of the ponytail at a diagonal.
- Spray Redken Shine Flash on the ponytail and split into four equal strands.
- Let go of the two outer strands and hold the two middle strands, one in the left hand and one in the right hand.
- Cross the right strand over the left strand so they switch places.
- Hold the two middle strands with the right hand. With the left hand, reach behind the two middle strands and grab the outer right strand. Bring the outer right strand to the front and cross over into the middle.
- Hold the two new middle strands in the left hand and let go of the outer right strand.
- Reach behind the middle two strands with the right hand and grab the left outer strand. Bring it to the front and cross over into the middle.
- Repeat steps 8-10 all the way down the ponytail to create a round braid and secure with an elastic.
- Hide the elastic by wrapping a small section of hair around it.
- Embellish the braid with a sparkly chain. Wrap the chain around the top of the base of the ponytail and wrap and loop more chain throughout the braid. Tip: Use a plastic straw to insert the chain between the loops of the braid by inserting the chain through the straw. Once the chain in pulled through, remove the straw and repeat throughout the braid. This will prevent the chain from snagging hair and ruining your braid.
- Finish by spraying Redken Max Hold Hairspray for long-lasting hold.