Courtesy of Sam Villac
Karla Valenzuela, Sam Villa ambassador and Redken artist, shares a step-by-step on how to create a half-up, half-down twisted braid with a festive red satin ribbon.
Holiday Look—Half Up-Half Down Twist Braid:
- Mist Redken Thermal Spray 11 for heat protection and hold.
- Curl hair with a Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand in wand form and wrap hair around the barrel, alternating directions with each curl.
- Spray Redken Dry Texture Spray throughout the roots and mid-length.
- Use Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush to brush out curls and backcomb the crown area.
- Create a rope braid on the front sides: Take two sections of hair, twist the section on the right two times outward, then cross over to the left hand.
- Twist the new strand on the right two times outward and cross over to the left hand.
- Repeat all the way down to create a rope braid.
- Secure with an elastic and repeat on the other side. Make sure to direct hair toward the back of the head when twisting so the rope braid sits below the crown.
- Gather both twists and secure together with an elastic (to create a small ponytail).
- Take a small section of hair from the left and right side of the rope braid pony, loosely gather and secure with an elastic.
- Loop the end of the ponytail through the opening to create a twist and pull to create fullness.
- Repeat two or more times—the more loops, the more it will look like a very full fishtail braid.
- Secure with an elastic and tie a long satin ribbon or add a decorative clip.
- Finish with Redken Max Hold Hairspray for lasting hold.