MTV’s 2022 Video Music Awards highlighted the hottest musical artists, songs, videos and more, but let’s not forget–some memorable red carpet hair looks.
Below are two how-tos straight from the hairstylists behind the manes of Lizzo and Dixie D’Amelio.
Styled by Shelby Swain for Matrix and ghd, Lizzo’s red carpet look was inspired by her Jean Paul Gaultier dress. Swain says, “I wanted to implement the dress with something sleek and timeless, yet edgy.”
Get the Look:
- Step 1: To begin, I had to set a foundation. Going into wig placement may seem simple, but we must remember healthy hair is our best reward. To maintain Lizzo’s beautiful tresses, I washed and cleansed with Matrix A Curl Can Dream Shampoo.
- Step 2: Adding to the curl definition achieved during the shampoo, I went in and hydrated the curls to perfection with Matrix A Curl Can Dream Rich Mask. This combination allows Lizzo’s curls to pop from the gentle clarifying of the shampoo, but also the moisture and buoyancy created with the mask.
- Step 3: Next, I blew out her curls with the ghd helios professional hair dryer. This blowdryer not only dries the hair smooth with ease, but it adds shine as well. I then protected the hair by applying Matrix Instacure Anti-Breakage Porosity Spray to fill in porosity and condition.
- Step 4: Once I finished blow-drying, I was able to curate Lizzo’s locs into a secure braided base by using Matrix Instacure Tension Reliever on the scalp to provide extra moisture and protection for her hair.
- Step 5: Getting into the style, I laid her wig, and I reached for the Matrix Instacure Anti-Breakage Porosity Spray because it also pulls double duty as a detangler. I used the ghd max styler to straighten the tresses; however, to achieve the sleek blunt-cut look, I still wanted some volume. I sprayed Matrix Vavoom Extra Full Freezing Spray to the roots for extra volume and I used the ghd ceramic vented radial brush in size 4 and the ghd helios professional hair dryer once again to achieve the volume that I desired.
- Step 6: We decided we wanted a wet look a few minutes before hitting the red carpet, so I laid Lizzo’s edges with Matrix Overachiever Paste 3-in-1 Cream + Paste + Wax and finished with Matrix Vavoom Extra Full Freezing Spray and back again with Matrix Instacure Anti-Breakage Porosity Spray to add wetness, definition and structure to this masterpiece.
Social media influencer and artist Dixie D’Amelio was styled by Laura Polko. Polko said she wanted D’Amelio’s look to feel effortless. “We went for a wet, loose bun with intentional loose pieces,” says Polko.
Get the Look:
- Step 1: Starting at the back of the hair and working my way up, I started directing the hair back, adding Aquage Defining Gel and Aquage Transforming Paste along with some finishing spray into her hair.
- Step 2: Using the T3 Aireluxe Dryer, I blow-dried her hair on a medium heat setting while scrunching to set and dry the gel.
- Step 3: Once the hair was dry and directed back, I pulled the hair into a bun, leaving some pieces loosely out to look unintentional.
- Step 4: Once makeup was complete, I applied more gel and hairspray to the loose pieces of hair to set them on the forehead by blow-drying the hair from the back, directing it down.