The “Superbowl of fashion” (aka the Met Gala) celebrated the Gilded Age through a parade of red carpet beauty and fashion looks.
With prom right around the corner for many teenage clients, the event can serve as a boon of hairstyling inspiration. We’ve rounded up eight looks that will add a little gilded glamour to your clients’ big night.
Styled by hairstylist Laura Polko, the YouTube star’s hair look was said to be inspired by the Gilded Age theme, but with a modern take. Polko says, “We wanted to keep her look true to [Emma], and the combination of the tiara with her icy blonde short bob spoke to a modern take on the theme.”
- Step 1: In advance of this look, Emma bleached her hair ice blonde.
- Step 2: First, I prepped the hair with the Aquage Uplifting Foam to allow for volume.
- Step 3: Then, I blow-dried her hair with my new T3 AireLuxe hairdryer. Since her hair was recently bleached, I used the dryer’s customizable settings at a 5 heat and 2 fan setting to protect Emma’s hair from damage.
- Step 4: I got her hair straight by blow-drying it, and then I trimmed her hair into one length into a short bob style, working to create bulk at the ends by adding extensions.
- Step 5: I then went through her hair with the T3 Lucea flat iron, touching up the ends and messing with them to get them right where I wanted.
- Step 6: I then used the Aquage Transforming Paste and Dry Texture Finishing Spray to set the hair before I placed the vintage tiara into her hair.
- Step 7: To keep the tiara in place, I braided two rows of baby cornrows at both sides where the tiara was being placed and secured it with a clear Scunci elastic. I then sewed the tiara into place with a thread and needle. I placed one more Scunci pin at the end to keep it tightly secured for the entire night.
- Step 8: I put some finishing touches on her hair including some hair spray and then she was off.
Danielle Priano, inspired by the Hudgens’ gilded gothic dress, created a dramatic updo using SexyHair products.
- Step 1: Section hair leaving the hairline out.
- Step 2: Using Hidden Crown Dark Brown Seamless Clip-In extensions, I applied the wefts with all the hair going in the direction of the ponytail.
- Step 3: Pull all the remaining hair into a slick back pony using Not So Hard Up by SexyHair.
- Step 4: Separate the pony into 3 sections. Braid each section.
- Step 5: Attach a diamond strand to each braid.
- Step 6: Take all three braids and braid them together.
- Step 7: Brush all the hairline back and wrap it around the ponytail.
- Step 8: I twist all the hair into a bun.
- Step 9: It’s misty out there today! So I glossed over the hair with a spray of Spray & Play Harder by SexyHair to ensure the hair holds all night.
- Step 10: For extra frizz-fighting in the rainy weather, I gave a final spray with the Weatherproof Humidity Resistant Spray by SexyHair.
“Our inspiration was a high-fashion ballerina this year,” says Davontae Washington, who created Harlow’s ethereal hairstyle using UNITE Hair products. The look included a feather-like headpiece, which sat on top of her sleek, twisted bun.
- Step 1: I prepped her wig with LAZER Straight Relaxing Fluid to tame and smooth the hair.
- Step 2: Next, I used water, 7SECONDS Detangler, and U Oil and distributed it from roots to ends. Then, I blow-dried the hair to prep so I can begin flat ironing. These products help seal, nourish, repair and protect the hair from heat, but more importantly reduce dry time.
- Step 3: After flat ironing, I used CONUNDRUM Paste and the extra strong-hold SESSION-MAX Spray, to help me control the hair to pull it into a bun.
- Step 4: I finished with 7SECONDS Glossing Spray to give the style a shiny, polished look.
Model and activist Quannah Chasinghorse's hair was styled into an intricate figure-eight braid style by Naeemah LaFond. “Quannah wanted her hair to be modern that was true to her personal style, as well as her culture, so her look features a sleek style with some intricate braiding. I chose a figure-eight braid because I knew it would make a statement, yet still allow the dress and the jewelry to be center stage,” the hairstylist says.
- Step 1: Part hair slightly off-center and add a few drops of Glass Action Universal Elixir to the hair.
- Step 2: Create a figure 8 braid on the smaller side of the part and add a small cornrow right under it. Both braids should angle upwards and end right at the crown.
- Step 3: Add clip-in extensions for added volume. Spray the section with Headstrong Intense Hold Hairspray and clip the extensions in. Stopping at the crown so that it blends well with the natural hair.
- Step 4: Spray The Sheild Anti-Humidity Spray onto the hair throughout the length.
- Step 5: Smooth the hair with The Conductor 1" Styler.
- Step 6: Spray the braid and straight lengths with a few spritzes of The Wizard Detangling Primer for an added burst of sheen.
The model donned a flowing golden hair look styled by Mara Roszak using Wella Professionals products.
- Step 1: First, we prepped the hair with the Wella Professionals Color Fresh Mask in Golden Gloss to create the gorgeous golden tone that we were going for. I loved the warmth of the color and also how healthy it made the hair look.
- Step 2: Then, on her wet hair I applied the Wella Professionals EIMI Extra Volume Mousse Strong Hold Volumizing Mousse to achieve a soft hold and added volume.
- Step 3: I then applied two pumps of ROZ Santa Lucia styling oil to create a smooth shine for the blowout.
- Step 4: After I blew her hair out and once completely dried, I curled the hair with a 1 and ¼” iron to create the cascading soft waves.
- Step 5: Finally, I sprayed in Wella Professionals EIMI Stay Firm Workable Finishing Hairspray to keep the curls.
- Step 6: To finish, I brushed the hair out for a soft finish and pulled her hair to one side to complete the look.
The singer’s hair was blinged out by Cesar DeLeon Ramirez, who added silver accents throughout her middle part and several inches of length. The stylist dubbed the look, “the modern woman of the gilded age.”
DeLeon Ramirez’s breakdown:
- Step 1: To start, I used UNITE SILKY:SMOOTH Active Wash and Hydrating Complex. Knowing I was going to use 40” extensions, this was crucial in detangling and softening, fighting frizz and repelling humidity, especially on this rainy day.
- Step 2: After towel-drying, I sprayed SILKY:SMOOTH Heat Activator to “seal” the deal. This spray detangles, protects the hair from heat damage, and seals the cuticle to fight off humidity. On top, I layered a generous amount of SMOOTH&SHINE Styling Cream.
- Step 3: Once her hair was fully dried, I parted it down the center and twisted small sections off each side of the part while spraying the workable Le:Play Hairspray which provides a natural satin finish.
- Step 4: As the twist coiled up, I pinned them and shaped them to create a crown-like updo. I left some ends loose and curled them, and, in the back, I used a large barrel iron to create a soft, wavy texture.
- Step 5: To finish the look, I dabbed CONUNDRUM Paste in the part line to stick my silver leafing detail.
“For Jacob’s MET Gala look this year, I wanted the hair to look polished yet effortless, with just the right about of volume and texture, “ explained hairstylist Amy Komorowski who styled the look with American Crew products.
- Step 1: I always start by prepping the hair, which creates a foundation for the rest of the styling products to build upon. I sprayed American Crew Prep & Prime Tonic evenly throughout the entire head of hair and used my fingers to refresh the hair. It adds a light hold and texture for increased control and manageability.
- Step 2: Next, I followed up with American Crew’s new Matte Clay Spray which adds even more texture and body. I sprayed a few pumps just to the front part of the hair and used my fingers to add lift to the roots.
- Step 3: With a hairdryer on low speed, I continued to use my fingers to create lift at the roots. I continued to set and style the hair, until completely dry leaving the hair with an effortless texture.
- Step 4: I styled with a mixture of American Crew Cream Pomade first then followed up with a bit of American Crew Matte Clay. The Cream Pomade provides moisture and conditioning benefits plus adds a bit of shine.
- Step 5: Lastly, I took a dime-sized amount of American Crew Matte Clay, rubbed it between the palms of my hands, and focused on the ends of the hair for extra hold and definition.
“Ariana’s beautiful Moschino dress spoke to this year’s Met Gala theme, Gilded Glamour. The gold accents were everything. I knew I had to call to the edgy and bold nature of the dress by making an equally elegant yet bold hairstyle that would complement, but not overwhelm the look,” says hairstylist Takisha Sturdivant-Drew, who used Matrix products to style the look.
Step 1: I prepped the hair by using Matrix Instacure Shampoo and Conditioner to cleanse and soften her hair before styling. This collection is infused with liquid proteins, nourishes hair, and helps repair strength to reduce breakage in dry, brittle, and damaged hair.
Step 2: Next, while Ariana’s hair was still wet, I trimmed her hair a bit to keep it clean. Then I applied Matrix Instacure Porosity Spray on her damp hair before blow-drying. This porosity spray is also formulated with liquid protein and B5, which conditions over-porous hair, smooths the hair cuticle, and controls static and frizz. It’s a must-have.
Step 3: Then I flat ironed her hair down on the sides and used the Matrix Vavoom Extra Full Freezing Spray all over the hair to hold. Next, I used the flat iron on the hair with products still in the hair to create molded curls to give her volume while still looking and feeling soft. She had the perfect amount of height to go with her sexy edgy dress.