A little bit punk, a little bit rock and a whole lotta cool: The hair from Alice + Olivia’s Fall/Winter 2016 show is all about the attitude. —AMY DODDS
Instagram-perfect vignettes depicted a day in the life of a 1970s New Yorker at Alice + Olivia’s Fall/Winter 2016 presentation. From artist’s loft to subway to record store to afterhours club, the settings provided the perfect backdrop for looks that were rocker-chic and just a tad gritty. To translate this to the hair, lead stylist Marshall Lin created perfectly imperfect coifs: “There’s a lot of frizz and a lot of texture going on,” he says. Working with Olivia Garden brushes, Lin created styles that were all about loose, carefree structure and soft texture. Here’s how to get the look:
1. Smooth hair around the frame of the face with an Olivia Garden 1¾-inch HeatPro Round Thermal Brush and create a clean part down the middle. To add dimension around the face, dry the roots by angling the sections forward.
2. Apply a volumizing mousse section by section to hair to create lift. Use a hairdryer on medium heat using hands to create dry texture.
3. Separate hair into two-inch sections with Olivia Garden CarboSilk Comb and curl hair with a 1.25-inch curling iron.
4. Use the Olivia Garden Double Clip to quickly and easily section the hair as you work around the head.
5. Release the curl immediately and roll it with tissue. The tension of the curl must be more at the roots and start to loosen up near the ends.
6. After curls cool down, use Olivia Garden Supreme Combo to gently brush the hair to create a soft, edgy look with a little bit of frizz.
7. To complete the look, add dry shampoo for additional texture and finish with a light hold hairspray