Global Creative Director for Wella Professionals, Eugene Souleiman along with his talented team created a youthful and natural look for the DKNY SS’13 show. The hair look at the Spring/Summer ’13 DKNY was youthful and natural looking but with a definite sense of direction. “The DKNY Spring/Summer ’13 collection was based on the ultimate DKNY girl’s lifestyle, with every aspect of her day catered for, from swimwear to outer-wear, so it stands to reason that the hair reflects this direction. I wanted to create a hairstyle that gave a sense of unity to the look and give a relaxed, lifestyle feeling. I felt it important to give a sense of life and movement to the hair and play on how the light reflects on textures, so I created a subtle multi textured effect on the hair,” said Eugene Souleiman, Global Creative Director, Care & Styling, Wella Professionals.
These subtle different textures were brought to life with a smooth clean fresh finish to the front of the hair which was swept low from a side parting and was tucked behind the ear, to a more textured ‘Californian sunned’ look to the back and lower part of the hair. The overall result was of a young, relaxed feeling which was not forced or contrived yet was definitely done with deliberate intention.
- Start with clean freshly washed and conditioned hair, using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner, to ensure hair is in perfect condition.
- Roughly dry the hair using your hands. Then create a low side parting and section off the hair from the parting to the crown.
- Section off hair and blow dry each section perfectly straight using a round brush to create a smooth sleek finish. Apply tension with the brush at the roots and loosen the tension as you dry to the ends of the hair.
- Once this section is dry and smooth, sweep the hair down low over the forehead and secure behind the ear with a hair grip.
- Pull some of the hair forward over the ear to give a less polished feel to the look.
- Pull the hair on both sides towards the back of the head and twist into a rope – spray with Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz Beach Texture Spray, then while holding the hair in a tight twisted rope apply heat with a diffuser till the hair is bone dry.
- For extra effect, pin the rope up until you are ready to reveal the hair. Once the rope of hair is released, the hair will have a natural tousled effect to it.
- Finally, for added texture, once the hair is loose push the hair upwards against the natural grain around the crown of the head to give a textured fly away feel to the hair.
[Images courtesy of DeVries Public Relations]
Other New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2013 Collections: Joanna Mastroianni | Timo Weiland | Monique Lhuillier | Christian Siriano | Rebecca Taylor | Band of Outsiders | Suno | Houghton | Charlotte Ronson | Monika Chiang | Tadashi Shoji | Costello Tagliapietra | Honor | Erin Fetherston | Peter Som | Derek Lam | Top New York Fashion Week Hair Styles