Women everywhere are going both ways, straight and curly. We’re seeing a lot of smooth sleek crowns paired with curls and texture, as seen on the runways of Bottega Venetta and Just Cavalli. It’s a simple look to create that delivers a big WOW factor. I use the Paper Curl technique to make a coiled flat curl in a matter of minutes. It’s a modern version of a pin curl but flatter.
• Apply a heat styling product like Redken iron silk 07 and place a fine-toothed comb underneath at the scalp area, with the teeth facing up and toward the body.
• Position the outside of the Sam Villa Signature Series SLEEKR iron on top of the teeth of the comb and slowly comb through the section with the outside of the iron on top of the comb.
• Take a 1/2” square section and prep with Redken iron silk 07.
• Loosely flat wrap the section around index finger. Note: The size of the section constitutes the size of the curl - small sections for tighter curls, larger sections for softer curls.
• Slide off finger – holding pin curl in fingertips.
• Pinch with SLEEKR.
• Let cool for about 10 seconds before releasing out of fingers.
• Finish with Redken control addict 28 high-control hairspray.
What I like about this look is it’s polished, yet unfussy, so it works well for formal occasions, as well as casual. The placement of the pin above the ear ties it all together…and can be ornate or just a simple bobby pin. -Sam Villa
ight=360,width=242]]Sam Villa is founding partner of the Sam Villa® brand (Allvus, LLC) designed to bring “More Sam to More People.” The educational world of this Stylist Choice Award Winner for Favorite Platform Artist and Educator (2012, 2011 and 2007) and Education Artistic Director for Redken 5th Avenue can be experienced on www.samvilla.com. Stylists have access to “The Aspire Tour™” digital education series and other hot tips and techniques, as well as Sam Villa Signature Series tools – brushes, combs, thermal tools and shears. Facebook: samvillahair; YouTube: Sam Villa; Twitter: samvilla.
[Images: Milan fashion week model by Vittorio Zunino Celotto/
Getty Images Entertainment; Sam Villa courtesy of Glow Communications]