While Nicole Richie turned heads with her jaw-dropping, grey-tinted hairdo at the Met Gala in New York City on May 6, the reality-star turned mom also made sure that her interpretation of the Met Gala’s theme of “Punk: Chaos to Couture” reached her fingertips with an edgy burgundy and gold half-moon manicure, courtesy of Gelish Soak-Off Gel Polish and celebrity manicurist Kimmie Kyees.
Working with Richie’s heavily embellished custom TopShop gown, gold metallic House of Harlow 1960 “Marley” clutch, and silver Vero Cuoio heels, Kyees used Gelish My Forbidden Love, a burgundy hue, as the base and Orly Luxe, a shimmering gold shade, for the moons to give the finished look an “opulent edge,” states Kyees. “Nicole had so many gorgeous accessories on, I wanted to make sure that her manicure stood out,” adds Kyees.
To recreate Richie’s Met Gala manicure with Gelish products, follow these easy steps:
• Shape the nail into desired shape
• Lightly buff the surface of the nail plate
• Cleanse the nail with a lint free wipe and Gelish Nail Surface Cleanse to remove any dust and excess moisture
• Apply a thin coat of Gelish pH Bond and cap the free edge
• Apply a thin coat of Gelish Foundation and cap the free edge
• Apply a thin coat of Gelish My Forbidden Love and cap the free edge. Cure in the Gelish 18G LED for 30 seconds.
• Apply a second coat of Gelish My Forbidden Love and cap the free edge. Cure in the Gelish 18G LED for 30 seconds.
• Using Gelish Allure and a clean nail art brush, create a heart-shaped design at the base of the nail near the cuticle area. Cure in the Gelish 18G LED for 30 seconds
• Apply a thin coat of Gelish Top It Off and cap the free edge. Cure in the Gelish 18G LED for 30 seconds.
• Remove tacky residue with Gelish Nail Surface Cleanse and a lint-free wipe
• Massage Gelish Nourish Cuticle Oil into skin surrounding nail plate
Images: Courtesy of Gelish
More from the 2013 Met Gala: Guido Palau's Punk Creations | Amanda Seyfried's Twisted Punk Updo | Alexa Chung's Romantic Chignon | Karlie Kloss' Modern Punk Beauty | Kylie Minogue's Retro Waves | Diane Kruger's Pink Pony | Allison Williams' Punk Rock Look | Minka Kelly's Punk Glamour Updo | Jessica Alba's Textured Bun | Brooklyn Decker Goes Punk-Glam | Hailee Steinfeld's Tousled Waves | Jessica Pare's Spiked Updo | Anne Hathaway's Platinum Blonde Transformation | Kirsten Dunst Sports Beachy Waves | Jessica Biel's Slicked-Back Pony | Lily Cole's Grunge-Inspired Coif | Miley Cyrus' Spikes by Oribe | Ashley Greene's Half-Updo by Ted Gibson | Felicity Jones' Punk-Hepburn Style | Miranda Kerr's Braids and Waves | Elizabeth Banks' Punk Ponytail | Katie Holmes' High-Volume Updo | Lily Collins