The Beauty Coach Braid Bar, led by the stylists of LA's Nine Zero One Salon, took over Weekend 2 of Coachella this past weekend. The team created fun, festival-ready looks for guests that stopped by the Braid Bar, including glitter roots, buns, flower crowns, and, of course, braids. See four of the looks from last weekend, and get the how-tos you need to recreate them in the salon, below!
Hair by 901 Artist, Denise Madrigal on Bruna Vieira
- Brush hair thoroughly to make sure it's tangle free and easy to work with.
- Part hair down the center. Section out the desired amount of hair to frame the face.
- On one side, start Dutch braiding downward, grabbing small sections from the top part (rather than both sides of the braid) and incorporate them into the braid.
- Once you've braided to the back of the head, clip it away. Do the same to the other side. Once you've met the other braid in the back, carefully cross the strands together to make one braid and secure it with an elastic.
- Next, use UNITE’s EXPANDA Dust and lightly add it into the braid. Begin stretching or fluffing out the braid and secure with bobby pins.
- Finally, use a Hot Tools curling iron to create beautiful beach waves. To finish the look use UNITE’s TEXTURIZA Spray on the waves and lock your entire look with the GO365 hairspray.
Double Buns and Glitter Roots
Hair by 901 Artist, Tabitha Duenas
- Spray UNITE’s TEXTURIZA Spray into dry hair.
- Using tail comb, section hair down the center through to the nape.
- Smooth each half into high, tight pony tails with a Mason Pierson brush.
- Spray any fly-aways with GO365 Hairspray. Using a fishtail technique, braid the legs of the ponytails.
- Powder the braids with EXPANDA Dust and distress with your hands.
- Wrap the braids into buns and secure with bobby pins.
- For the glitter part; dispense gel into a bowl and mix in your favorite color glitter. Use a synthetic paintbrush to apply to the part.
Crown Braid with Flowers
Hair by 901 Artist, Brianna Colette
- On dry hair apply UNITE’s TEXTURIZA Spray throughout hair.
- Create a side part, sectioning hair into two.
- Using the larger section of hair, begin French braiding at the hairline.
- Continue braiding all around the perimeter of the head.
- Finish braid and secure with hair tie.
- Lightly apply UNITE’s EXPANDA Dust throughout braid to give hair texture and hold.
- Place finished braid on top of head at hairline.
- Tuck tail of braid into braid on head. Secure with bobby pins.
- Apply glitter into braided hair. Finish by adding a pre-made flower headpiece like this one made by @lauren.anewleaf.
Pull Through Boxer Braids
Hair by 901 Co-Founder, Riawna Capri
- Comb out hair and divide hair into two clean sections (TIP: smooth out hair with Hot Tools smoothing to make hair easier to work with).
- Begin on one side by making a small (one inch) ponytail at the top of the braid (TIP: Keep elastics somewhat loose so you will be able to pancake the braid out later).
- Make another small ponytail right below the first one (TIP: use a rat tail comb to section the hair for smooth and clean partings).
- Divide the first ponytail into two equal sections.
- Take the second ponytail and clip it up in between the first pony.
- Section out a third small ponytail right below the second, be sure to include the hair from the first ponytail into the third pony.
- Release the clip and repeat steps 4-6 down the rest of the head.
- Once you have reached the bottom of the head you will no longer need to add in hair, you will just continue the pull-through braid throughout the rest of the pony. To do this, add an elastic to the top pony about two inches down.
- Next, make a hole in the middle of that two-inch segment, and reach through the hole, pulling through the bottom pony.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 until you run out of hair.
- Repeat steps 2-10 on the other side of the head.
- Apply UNITE’s EXPANDA Dust all over the hair, this will be very helpful for expanding/or pancaking the braid and will also help the braid last.
- Pancake or expand each section to make the braid as big and full as you desire.
- Finish with UNITE’s SESSIONMAX Hairspray to lock this look into place.