Courtesy of Sam Villa
Kauilani Goodwyn, Texpert Collective and Textured Hair Elevated cofounder as well as Sam Villa ambassador, shares how to create a pin-free faux braid hawk.
“Learning how to create a good foundation with different tools is important, because there are multiple situations where a pin-free style is more advantageous,” explains Goodwyn.
Why Pin-Free Styling?
- Pin-free looks are better for photography, reducing the chances of light reflecting off metal.
- Pinless styles are great for runway as nothing will fall out when a model is walking.
- No pins = faster transition to other looks on set.
- Braids, knots and twists provide a solid base for longevity.
- When hair is very dense and thick, pins aren’t always enough to hold it in place.
- Looks can be worn for a longer period of time, sometimes days.
How-To: Faux Braid Hawk
- Cleanse and prep hair with Mizani Press Agent Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Section and Bantu Knot hair to keep moisture in.
- Apply Mizani Press Agent Raincoat Styling Cream and Serum (based on porosity of hair) before blow-drying each section with a paddle brush and Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer.
- When completely dry, flat iron with a Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron for smoothness.
- Part hair into three sections and clip up center panel with dry sectioning clips.
- Split side panels in half from hairline to nape and clip away bottom panel.
- Cornrow the panel closest to the center panel from front hairline to nape.
- Put latch hook under the braid and take a section of hair from the bottom panel and pull it through. Continue until the nape.
- Repeat steps above on the other side panel.
- Unclip center panel and add clip-ins for fullness (if desired).
- Make subsections and create small ponytails in the center panel from the front hairline to the nape using snag-free elastics.
- Start faux braid from the front ponytail.
- Continue technique through the length of hair (or stop at the last ponytail, leave hair out, and style).
- Pull hair out to create braid effect and apply Mizani Humidity Resistant Mist or Shine Spray to finish.