Loose, undone and totally attainable hair was the biggest red carpet trend at both the Critics’ Choice and BAFTA Awards.
From long cascading locks to deep side parts to classic ponytails, gentle waves were donned by the events’ nominees and presenters.
- Prep the hair using the T3 AireBrush Duo with the Aquage Uplifting Foam. Separate the hair into sections, and then bl0w out each section of hair using a round brush attachment as part of the T3 AireBrush Duo vertically to achieve the most volume possible.
- Then, starting from the crown of the head back, separate the hair by combing 2 inches down and 2 inches back to create a half up, half down hairstyle. Pin the upper pieces back and leave out the bangs in the front. Set the hair with Aquage Dry Texture Finishing Spray.
- Next, use the T3 Singlepass Wave to curl the lower section of hair, twisting little sections of hair in the back to create movement and texture.
- Finally, finish with Aquage Curl Defining Creme and Aquage Dry Texture Finishing Spray to give an effortless look for this half up, half down style with lots of volume.
- I used the new Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Glass Hair Water out of the shower just to add a little more shine. I always like to prep her hair with a little Garnier Fructis Texture Tease Dry Touch Finishing Spray, just to rough up the base a little bit so her soft healthy hair has some texture to hold the style all day.
- I prepared the hair with the T3 AireBrush Duo using the round brush attachment to get a little heat and volume at her roots and well as smooth out any baby hairs and flyaways. Expert tip: take sections starting in her back hairline and begin giving her waves of all different kinds.
- I switched between a flat iron wave using my T3 Lucea Flat Iron, a wave that’s wrapped around the SinglePass Curl 1” Curling iron and a C wave made with the barrel.
- Once the whole head is waved and sprayed with Garnier Fructis Texture Tease Dry Touch Finishing Spray, I take half her hair back starting at both temples and secure it just below her crown with a small elastic. Once it’s secured, I can loosen the hair and give her a little more volume and perfect the half up part.
- Once it’s how I like, I make a little textured bun in the back and secure with pins from the T3 Clip Kit.
- Next I give the hair that is down in the back a little tease with a rat-tail comb and spray all over with Garnier Fructis Style Flexible Control Hair Spray, giving it some moveable texture.
While styling Olsen’s hair, Clayton Hawkins reached for SexyHair products and Tangle Teezer. “I wanted to create an effortless version of an old Hollywood set for Elizabeth Olsen’s Critic's Choice look,” Hawkins explained.
- I started by detangling her damp hair with my Tangle Teezer and applying a generous amount of SexyHair Root Pump Plus to her roots.
- From there, I blew her hair out with a round brush and set the mohawk section in Velcro rollers.
- Next, I went in and waved her hair softly with a one-inch iron towards the face.
- Once the hair was waved, I sprayed SexyHair Play Dirty Spray for texture and separation.
- I then went in and defined her long bang section up and away to frame her face and locked it in with the SexyHair Spray & Play Volumizing Hairspray – this will keep her set for the night, giving her a modern twist on a classic look.
Hairstylist Kiley Fitzgerald used the René Furterer STYLE collection on Qualley for the night’s festivities. Here, she shares her step-by-step instructions.
- I prepped Margaret with René Furterer STYLE Blowout Balm applying primarily to the ends, and then used the leftover product in my hand on the top of her hair.
- I blew out her hair in the front and top into pin curls and blew the back out straight.
- Then, I used a curling iron and sprayed René Furterer STYLE Thermal Protecting Spray.
- To help pull her hair back into the perfect ponytail, I used René Furterer STYLE Holding Gel.
- I needed a little more shine in her hair so sprayed René Furterer STYLE Shine Mist.
- To finish off the look, I used René Furterer STYLE Finishing Spray.”
Hairstylist Jenny Cho also used the René Furterer STYLE collection when working with HoYeon Jung. Cho said of the look, “HoYeon’s Louis Vuitton 2022 ready-to-wear dress had the best of the past, present and future all in one, which inspired me to create flat, loose, waves—a nod to beautiful, classic finger waves, and a modern take on young, cool flat waves.”
- On towel dried hair, start by applying the René Furterer STYLE Blowout Balm. Then, layer in the René Furterer STYLE Sculpting Mousse on top, and blow dry using the ghd ceramic vented round brush size 3 with the ghd helios professional hair dryer, to give the hair a nice, smooth finish.
- Make a deep side part with the ghd tail comb. Divide the hair into three sections – two sections for the sides, and one section for the hair in the back, behind the ears. Generously apply the René Furterer STYLE Sculpting Mousse on the heavy parted side.
- Create an “S” pattern, by combing a small section starting at the part, away from the face. Then go forward, creating a “C” shape above the middle of the brow, using the comb to redirect the section away from the face, which will then start the “S” wave shape. I like to expose the arch of brow which lifts the face upwards. Continue to the top of the ears, and pin section using finger wave clips.
- For the hair below the ears, mist the René Furterer STYLE Finishing Spray on a 2-inch length wide section, and make your first “S” wave with the ghd platinum+ styler. If you’re right-handed like me, hold the section of the hair in your left hand, and iron on the right. While the left hand is holding the section of the hair, clamp down the flat iron pushing towards left slightly creating a “C” shape, turn the iron in, and make another curve in the opposite direction creating an “S” shape. Repeat on the other side.
- Apply the René Furterer STYLE Sculpting Mousse with a ghd tail comb , making a “C” shape away from the face, and come forward into the temple and back on top of the ear.
- To create a more loose and modern look, spiral curl the hair after misting each section with René Furterer STYLE Finishing Spray using ghd curve classic wave wand and ghd curve classic curl iron. This technique will also create softer, flatter waves that can be easily connected to the front sides of the hair.
- Once the curls have cooled, gently brush each section with the ghd oval dressing brush, and push the waves in with the edge of your palm. Then, mist in the René Furterer STYLE Finishing Spray for extra hold.
- Apply the René Furterer STYLE Modeling Paste for any flyaways, and finalize the look with a spritz of the René Furterer STYLE Shine Mist. Pull and loosen the hair where needed.
She said, “I was so excited for Justin’s Critics Choice nomination that I wanted to stay true to him for this look. I wanted to keep it classy and tailored with a bit of texture. It’s so important that clients feel comfortable walking down the carpet and this look for Justin hit the mark.”
- To get Justin’s look, Andrea started by spraying 2-3 sprays of PHYTOVOLUME Volumizing Blow Dry and worked it in with her hands to add some density to Justin’s hair.
- Then, she briefly allowed the hair to dry naturally—a pro tip she suggests is if using a blow dryer, use your fingers to direct the hair as you like.
- Next, she emulsified a dime size of the PHYTOPROFESSIONAL Pliable Paste into her hands and lightly worked it into the ends of Justin’s hair to create texture and separation. She notes not to start with too much, as you can always add more as you go.
- Then, after styling the hair as desired, she finished with PHYTOLAQUE Soie hairspray to set the hair.
Across the pond, for the 2022 BAFTA Awards, Simone Ashley donned a curly hair look created by Peter Lux.
- Apply the wizard detangling primer to towel dried hair and carefully detangle.
- Apply 2-3 pumps of blockade heat defense serum through ends and mid-lengths and blow dry in sections using a natural bristle round brush.
- Once dry, take a 1.5-inch-wide horizontal section at the nape of the neck. Staring 2 inches away from the roots of each section wave the hair with the high tide deep waver working your way towards the ends. Repeat in 1.5-inch-wide horizontal sections until all the hair is waved.
- To add shine, definition and tame flyaways, smooth glass action universal elixir through the hair.
- To finalize the look, use headstrong intense hold hairspray to fix the shape in place.