Retro-inspired hairstyles and relaxed, tousled looks were the two biggest hair trends from the 2021 Emmy Awards.
We have rounded up seven of the night's best hair looks for a variety of hair types and textures.
Bobby’s breakdown of the look:
- After I cut Beanie’s hair, I sprayed the René Furterer STYLE Protect Thermal Protecting Spray all over.
- I then used the René Furterer STYLE Sculpting Mousse on Beanie’s roots, for body and lift.
- I blow-dried the hair with my hands, lifting the roots for volume. I used a round brush on the ends, to smooth out the cuticle.
- After the hair was blow-dried, I sprayed the René Furterer STYLE Finishing Spray all over.
- I then used a 1-inch curling iron and a flat iron and created a lived-in undone texture.
- Following this, I used the René Furterer STYLE Texture Spray from roots to ends and shook out the waves with my hands.
- I finished the look off with the René Furterer STYLE Finishing.
- Start on clean, freshly washed hair.
- Apply SMOOTH&SHINE roots to ends and brush through to evenly distribute the product.
- Next, use ELEVATE Mousse from roots to ends to lift hair into a full-bodied, frizz-free style that's soft, shiny and moveable.
- Part hair into large sections and blow-dry in different directions for maximum volume.
- Once dry, spritz each section with the 3-in-1 customizable strength GO365 Hairspray and curl ends with a 1 1/2- inch to 2-inch iron.
- Brush out curls and add TEXTURIZA Spray all over and brush out again for an undone finish.
- To finish, rub CONUNDRUM Paste in the palms of your hands and smooth out the pieces around the face.
When styling the actress’ hair for the star-studded event, celebrity hairstylist Randy Stodghill used PHYTO to create a “strong and glamorous” look.
How to achieve this look:
- Stodghill first prepped the hair using PHYTOSPECIFIC Thermoperfect for hair protection.
- He then sprayed PHYTOVOLUME Volumizing Blow Dry Spray to damp hair to maximize volume.
- He applied the PHYTOSPECIFIC Curl Legend Spray to hydrate and define the curls.
- He finished off the look with PHYTOLAQUE Soie for hold and polish.
Jenny’s breakdown of the look:
- On America’s towel-dried hair, I worked in the René Furterer Style Air Dry Cream, providing moisture and enhancing her natural hair texture.
- Then, I layered in the René Furterer Style Sculpting Mousse, allowing it to diffuse till the hair was completely dry.
- I polished America’s curls with a 1 1/2- inch curling iron and flat iron, loosening up the hair to allow for natural waves.
- Following this, I used the René Furterer Style Finishing Spray, for a flexible, long-lasting hold.
- Next, I tamed frizz in the hair incorporating more of the René Furterer Style Air Dry Cream.
- After this, I used the René Furterer Style Texture Spray and a light mist of René Furterer Style Shine Mist along America’s hairline.
- I then loosely pulled back America’s hair into a low ponytail and secured it with an elastic. I took a quarter-inch section from the bottom of the ponytail and wrapped it around the base of the ponytail and secured it with bobby pins.
- Lastly, I completed the look with the René Furterer Style Finishing Spray.
Inspired by her retro dress, Anna Konkle opted for a vintage hairstyle created by Bryce Scarlett using Moroccanoil products.
“We created this look to complement the '30s/'40s era design of her look, giving vintage glamour that still feels modern and red carpet ready,” Scarlett explained.
- On damp hair, use a dime-size amount of Moroccanoil Treatment or Moroccanoil Treatment Light to provide the perfect foundation for styling.
- Next, apply Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse at the roots of the hair and Moroccanoil Mending Infusion to ends to ensure a voluminous and smooth blowout.
- Spray Moroccanoil Perfect Defense evenly throughout the hair to protect the cuticle against heat damage before styling with hot tools.
- Then, blow out the hair into a straight center part using the Moroccanoil Power. Performance Ionic Hair Dryer and Moroccanoil 25 MM Boar Bristle Round Brush
- Following the blowout, straighten the hair using the Moroccanoil Perfectly Polished Titanium Flat Iron to ensure the sleekest finish.
- Once hair is completely straightened, saturate the two inches of hair framing the face with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong, and utilize your fingers and the Moroccanoil Styling Comb to form delicate finger waves around the face. For thicker or more textured hair types, you can utilize Moroccanoil Styling Gel to create a stronger hold.
- Once the face-framing finger waves have been completed, leave the remaining hair straight and finish the look by spraying additional Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong all over to secure the style in place for an all-night hold.
The actress donned a “soft and easy” hairstyle created by Christine Symonds.
Christine’s breakdown of the look:
- I prepped Kaley’s hair with Clairol’s Shimmer Lights Thermal Shine Spray and the Clairol Shimmer Lights Leave-In styling treatment.
- I then blow-dried the hair and set it with clips to create volume and movement.
- I then put one row of Hidden Crown Seamless Hair Clip-in Light Ash Blonde and pulled the hair back into a ponytail.
- Then I pulled out a few pieces around the face to soften the look and frame her face with her fringe.
For the night’s festivities, Annie Murphy’s hair was styled into tousled waves by Mara Roszak.
Mara’s breakdown of the look:
- I started by applying RŌZ Santa Lucia Styling Oil to her damp ends & mid-lengths for smoothing and shine. For volume at the roots, I applied Wella Professionals EIMI Root Shoot Precise Root Mousse then blew dry Annie’s hair with the ghd helios professional hairdryer and ghd ceramic vented radial brush in size 3, leaving a natural movement in her hair.
- Next, to create waves I alternated between the ghd unplugged styler to create S waves and ghd curve soft curl iron for loose waves. Using both the styler and iron to style the hair creates more volume and texture.
- Once her hair was all waved, I sprayed Wella Professionals EIMI Dry Me Dry Shampoo all over to break up waves and add a beautiful soft “lived-in” texture.
- I then finished the look off with hairspray for added hold and shine.
The nominee for Outstanding Supporting Actress wore a flipped-out hairstyle created by Brian Fisher. The look was accessorized with a sweet ribbon headband to compliment the youthful style.
Brian’s breakdown of the look:
- I started by layering in the Maximista Thickening Spray at the roots and the Royal Blowout Heat Styling Spray throughout her ends to smooth and protect.
- I blow dried her hair section by section by section with a 1 1/2” boar bristle brush adding volume at crown and flipping the ends out.
- As I completed each section, I set them with the Freestyler Working Hairspray and tamed flyaways with the same buildable, brushable product.
- I used a matching ribbon as a headband and tied securely at the nape of her neck.
The actress wore a relaxed ponytail styled by Kylee Heath using Olivia Garden styling tools. “Since Awkwafina was wearing a dress with a high neck, we wanted the look to be up, but not too sleek so that it had an effortless feel,” the stylist explained.
Kylee’s breakdown of the look:
- I prepped Awkwafina’s damp hair with a styling mousse and then rough dried the hair until it was 50% dry using the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Hair Dryer.
- I then created a center part and used the Olivia Garden ThermoVent Round Brush in size 2’’ to set the part and smooth out the hair cuticle in the front pieces.
- Next, I went in with the 3’’ size of the Olivia Garden ThermoVent Round Brush to blow out the rest of the hair smooth.
- Once Awkwafina’s hair was dry, I sectioned away the front pieces and pulled the back into a ponytail securing it with an elastic. I like to use the jawline as a guide of where to place the ponytail.
- Next, I created some texture using the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion Flat Iron.
- Since we wanted the ponytail to feel messy and free falling, I then sprayed the roots with a texturizing spray and teased pieces using the Olivia Garden CarboSilk Comb.
- I then pulled some more front pieces out around the face, so it was a little asymmetrical. To finish off the look, and make sure it would hold for the night, I spritzed a volumizing spray throughout.
Also styled by Kylee Heath and Olivia Garden, Poehler’s hair was “nothing too polished” and formed into loose, effortless waves.
Kylee’s breakdown of the look:
- I started out on Amy’s damp hair and spritzed a volume spray throughout.
- I then created a super straight center part and used the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Hair Dryer to dry Amy’s hair.
- While drying, I also used the Olivia Garden ThermoVent Round Brush in size 2’’ to ensure I was getting rid of any knots, but also creating volume and softness.
- Once Amy’s hair was completely dry, I used the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion Flat Iron to create small waves all throughout her hair.
- I created the waves with the flat iron by wrapping the hair on both sides and pulling away from her face.
- Next, I teased the crown of her head with the Olivia Garden CarboSilk Comb just to add extra volume so that the look wasn’t too flat.
- I then sprayed a generous amount of hairspray throughout to ensure the waves would hold for the night.