It can be challenging for men with coarse natural texture to get a nice smooth finish, but Andrew Carruthers, director of education for Sam Villa, suggests grabbing a flat iron. It’s not just for ladies…it’s a fast convenient way to transform short, curly, coarse texture for a smoother more controlled finish.
“I know most men think flat irons are just for the ladies, but they really need to get over that and realize it’s a great grooming tool that makes styling shorter hair so much easier,” says Carruthers.
How to Use a Flat Iron on Men’s Hair:
- Plug iron in to heat up to appropriate temperature – the Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron has three temperature settings – low, color-treated and high.
- Once iron is hot, take 1” sections and comb through to remove tangles.
- Place iron in hair and pass the iron over the section using light tension to prevent creases and to focus on the ends – target specific sections to define texture.
- Don’t overdo it! Maintain some bend in the hair to avoid the 90’s “boy band” look.
- Finish with favorite product.
[Image and video courtesy of Sam Villa]