When not cut properly, curly hair can look disproportionate, flat and lifeless - but with the right sectioning and cutting techniques, it can be gorgeous! In the video below, Ruth Roche, Artistic Ambassador for Pureology Serious Colour Care, gives tips on how to cut long layers in curly hair to promote curl and shape.
"I like to use a cutting lotion on curly hair to add slip and control frizz. Pureology Colour Fanatic Multi-Tasking Hair Beautifier for Color Treated Hair is great because it protects hair from heat styling as well,” says Roche.
Tips for Cutting Long Layers into Curly Hair
- Sectioning is key to even out volume and density.
- Focus on cutting layers underneath and let the top layers spill over.
- Cut hair inside and underneath so when hair moves it sits close to the head.
- Conservatively cut the perimeter to keep hair dense.
- Leave small parallel sections around the face hairline out to avoid cutting too much away; hair tends to be finer there.
- Cut random, smaller, shorter layers on the surface to vary the length of the curls.
How To Finish Long Layers in Curly Hair
- Apply Pureology Smooth Perfection Intense Smoothing Cream in small amounts at a time to tame hair.
- Layer Pureology Colour Stylist Nourishing Nectar Sculpting Gel throughout hair for added hold and structure for the curls.
- Dry with a diffuser and hands.
“Long layers are the key to beautiful curly hair because they remove density to create shape, keep volume proportionate from crown to ends and they add structure and definition to curls,” adds Roche. Look for other tips and tricks on www.ruthroche.com.