70s-inspired beauty was all the rage on yesterday’s American Music Awards red carpet, and model Gigi Hadid and singer Ciara led the trend with their stunning looks. While Gigi rocked glamorous, brushed-back curls, Ciara opted for a high ponytail with soft, eye-skimming fringe. Recreate both gorgeous styles with the how-tos below!
Get the Look: Gigi’s Curls
- “For her red carpet look, Gigi was wearing a gorgeous white lace gown that had a sexy 70s vibe, and we wanted her hair to reflect that too,” said celebrity hairstylist Bryce Scarlett, who created the look. “We took inspiration from Lauren Hutton and went for brushed-back curls that would look glamorous, but still effortless.
- “To get a lot of volume, I used the ghd Air ELITE and the ghd Natural Bristle Radial Brush (size 4), blowing out her hair up and away from her face.
- “Once it was dry, I sprayed some thickening spray and back-combed it through. Since we wanted big voluminous curls, I used the ghd Soft Curl Iron to curl her hair. The 1 1/4-inch barrel creates nice, bouncy curls, which was exactly what we were going for.
- “Once her hair was curled, I brushed her hair back to soften the look, giving it a more relaxed vibe. I teased the top for a little extra volume and used the ghd Platinum Styler to touch it up and get rid of any fly-aways.
- “Then, I set it all with hairspray and we were out the door for her big red carpet reveal.”
Get the Look: Ciara’s Pony
- “For Ciara's look tonight, I wanted to do something that would complement her beautiful dress. My vision was a long messy ponytail with a 70s-inspired fringe,” said Ciara’s stylist, Cesar Ramirez.
- “To start, I applied Mizani's Thermasmooth System and blew out Ciara's hair smooth with my ghd Air ELITE. I then center parted her fringe area and sectioned out hair around her face.
- “For the ponytail, I sectioned her hair into two parts: front and back. Using the ghd Paddle Brush, I brushed back and secured the back section into a ponytail to create a base right at the center back of her head.
- “I then attached a Faux Cesar-Do Ponytail which I custom colored to blend with her beautiful blonde color. To hide and blend the faux ponytail, I incorporated the remainder of her hair into the ponytail creating one big sexy messy pony.
- “I cut her fringe to really frame her face and give her sexy, 70s-inspired bangs. For an incredibly shiny finish and to nix fly-aways, I used the ghd Platinum Styler on the ponytail and on the fringe.
- “Finally, I sprayed Mizani HRM Anti-Humidity Hairspray to set the look.”