When brides book NYC-based makeup artist Karuna Chani, they often do so 18 months in advance—and for good reason: Chani has honed her specialty, perfecting the beauty of olive-complected women, to a T. Chani, herself half-Persian and half-Indian, turns to Arab and Bollywood makeup as her main makeup influences, and takes an optimistic view of the makeup industry’s rather slow adoption of beauty that’s all-inclusive. “I believe the Kardashians and the Huda Kattan’s of the world have helped pave the way for beauty to mean more than just porcelain skin,” she says. Here, Chani, who not only beautifies brides, but also has worked with Indian actress Priyanka Chopra and magazines such as Vogue India and Cosmopolitan Indonesia, reveals her must-haves for confidence-bestowing beauty.
- For Seriously Smooth Skin - Farsáli Rose Gold Elixir: “Deeply rich without being slippery, this oil keeps skin hydrated and improves its texture.”
- For Versatile Color - Huda Beauty Eyeshadow Palettes: “I have clients of many different ethnicities, so I look for a range of colors that look beautiful on a range of skin tones—these deliver.” (Shown: Desert Dusk)
- For Masking Dark Circle - Kryolan DermaColor Camouflage Creme: “This heavy-duty cream is essential in any makeup artist’s beauty kit. I love using color D5 to get rid of stubborn dark circles.”
- For Lasting Liner - Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner: “Humidity- and waterproof, not only is this eyeliner longwearing, it is extremely opaque and glides on smoothly; I use it on brides and at editorial shoots.”
- For Lush Lashes - Ardell Lashes: “For a dramatic fuller lash look, I often stack the lashes to build realistic- looking volume.”