Kate Middleton’s iconic cascade of curls gets a modern update with the addition of a softly sculpted angled fringe that blends perfectly into her long layers. To re-create a similar style, follow these steps brought to you by celebrity hairstylist George Gonzalez of George the salon Chicago.
The staple of this style is of course the bang. The key to re-creating this is cutting an angled fringe with some of the sections, skimming the tip of the nose in order to have the hair long enough to effortlessly sweep the fringe to one side. To soften this otherwise blunt edge when first cut, chip into the hair with the tips of your scissors.
1. To style, apply a leave in conditioner and use a wide tooth bone comb to detangle, applying a volumizing mousse throughout. Concentrate this on the roots in order to create a style with height that doesn’t lay flat.
2. Blowout hair in 1-2 inch sections (front, sides, and nape) using a large boar bristle round brush paired with a thermal protectant to ensure the shine factor is amplified. Gather bangs and pin separately as you will style these later. Inside Tip: Twist hair around the round brush and direct heat from the dryer on it for a few seconds. This will help create that loose, cascading effect.
3. Clip each section after the twisting motion is completed in large pin curls and mist with a flexible light hold hairspray.
4. Now, it’s time for the bang. I find styling fringe is easiest when you can start with fresh, damp strands. If they have dried too much so far, take a water bottle and gently mist them with water. Then, take a small round brush and start drying with a cupping action on a high fan setting. As the bangs become drier, start a brushing action on a low fan setting, directing them in the desired angle.
5. Once cool, take down the rest of your hair to reveal soft curls using your hands to style.
6. To further accentuate the loose waves, take sections and curl with a jumbo curling iron for this iconic royal style. Mist with a light hold hairspray to seal this soft, bouncy style.
[Image: WPA Pool/Getty Images Entertainment]
Related: The Royal Wedding: Kate Middleton's Hair by Richard Ward Hair & Metrospa | William & Kate: Hairstyling Secrets from The Lifetime Original Movie | Kate & Nancy’s Top 5 Favorite Places | Royal Wedding Final Thoughts | Royal Treatment Mini Facial Glow Kit by Renee Rouleau | How To Wear A Hat For The Big Day | The Perfect Date ‘Do | Solano Serves Up Hot Hairstyles at Jenny Packham Fashion Show