The 2021 MTV VMA red carpet was rife with swoon-worthy hair looks. From top recording artists to athletes to TikTokers, nominees and attendees alike served up looks that will inspire your clients’ next special occasion hairstyle.
How to achieve the style:
- Using the RUSK Hair Speedtitanium Professional 6-Speed Hair Dryer, Stewart blew out Simone’s hair straight.
- She followed with the RUSK Hair Smoothtitanium Professional Flat Iron, 1 inch to press hair silky straight.
- Lastly, she used the RUSK Hair Curltitanium Spring Iron, 1.25 inch to add loose, luscious waves throughout.
How to achieve the updo:
- With a fine-tooth comb, section off the front pieces of the hair and tuck behind one ear to keep separate from the rest.
- Pull remaining hair back tightly towards the back of the head, between the crown and the nape, working in triangle sections, securing on the sides and the top using Scunci clear elastics. Hair should be secured into three sections: a base pony that is secured with two clear elastics, and then hair on either side sectioned off independently, and secured with a clear elastic. The use of clear elastics helps to prevent any added bulk.
- Untuck hair from behind the ear and pull back, which will create a baby part that extends about one inch back on the scalp.
- Slick all hair back using the Aquage CBD Medium-Hold Styling Gel and then gently blow dry using the T3 Fit dryer, applying additional gel on either side of the part to ensure the style stays in place.
- Once all hair is pulled back, twist and lift the ponytail, and secure with a series of pins, leaving the ends out and positioned up towards a diagonal.
- Brush the ends with a fine-tooth comb and apply the Aquage Finishing Spray; when hair is still damp from Finishing Spray, use the T3 Lucea ID flat iron to ensure the ends stay up and stiff.
Not only was Olivia Rodrigo one the night’s biggest winners, but she also rocked two of the most covetable looks of the award show. The songstress’ long locks were styled by Clayton Hawkins using Matrix products.
How to achieve the red-carpet look:
- To start, apply Matrix’s new Total Results A Curl Can Dream Lightweight Oil to damp hair and blow out with a boar bristle brush.
- Then using a 1-inch curling iron, wave the hair all around. To lock in, use Total Results High Amplify Flexible Hold Hairspray.
- Next, use a tiny drop of StyleLink Overachiever to the hairline and part. Secure hair behind ears with Bobby pins. The result is beautiful, clean and polished.
How to achieve the performance look:
- For her performance, Hawkins spruced up her hair by adding two face framing baby braids that he adorned with vintage butterfly charms.
- For final touchups before hitting the stage, he sprayed Total Results High Amplify Flexible Hold Hairspray for extra hold.