Lindsey Olson, hairstylist and Sam Villa ambassador, has a surefire way to deliver babylights on dense, textured hair.
“I use much larger sections and just bump the color up a few levels to give a subtle glow on textured hair; if traditional babylights were applied, you may never see them,” explains Olson.
Babylights for Textured Hair:
- Take zigzag partings with large weave sections and hand-paint with Redken Blonde Idol with 20-volume. Paint top of section and back, then use hands to blend color all the way through. Leave out 2-3 inches from Zone One to keep depth at the base.
- Apply in all four quadrants and process for 45 minutes at room temperature.
- Rinse, then shampoo and condition with Redken All Soft Mega.
- Working in small sections, apply Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-in Conditioner throughout the entire head.
- Again, working in small sections, apply Mizani Styling Foam Wrap and create individual loose twists in each section.
- Diffuse with a Sam Villa Vision Blow Dryer on low air and medium heat. Start with head tilted all the way forward for maximum volume and rotate head all the way back to dry opposite sides until hair is 100 percent dry.
- Use a hair pick to rake base to create more volume.
- Apply Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil for shine and to define ends.
*Olson notes the same method can be used for more contrast, depending on the formula.
High contrast and subtle colors have their challenges with textured hair, from visibility to the integrity of the curls. Using only 10- or 20-volume Redken Pro-Oxide will help achieve a healthy and dimensional result.
“The size of these sections increases with higher curl patterns, but can be used on wavy hair as well—just use smaller sections,” says Olson.