New York Fashion week is in full force, and with that comes incredible hairstyles created by all the brands' top stylists. Throughout the week, we noticed many brands and stylists opting for low-key, natural looks. Many models had their hair down and lightly waved, but with different emphases for each show. We have the steps for recreating some of the best.
With Willie Nelson on his mind, Oribe Global Ambassador James Pecis transformed each model into Adam Selman’s Fall/Winter 2018 rock n’ roll roadie dream. The look, complete with a matted-down front swoop and waves leftover from once-existing braids, paired well with the collection’s eccentric patterns and in-your-face colors and textures, which included everything from multi-hued fur to shiny patent leather.
Get the Look:
- Create a rough center part, leaving out a small section of hair in the front.
- Depending on hair type, apply Maximista Thickening Spray, Sculpting Cream, or Surfcomber Tousled Textured Mousse from roots to ends; avoid brushing product through.
- Flatten the hair and secure into two low braids. Diffuse until hair is almost completely dry.
- Wet the left, front section with Volumista Mist for Volume and form a U-shape with this section. Place pieces onto the forehead.
- Dry with a diffuser, take out the braids and run fingers through to finalize the look.
This season, Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau capitalized on natural texture at Victoria Beckham’s FW2018 Show.
“Victoria has cast much more individual girls for the show this season. She’s embraced each girl based on who they are, and what they bring to the clothes with their individual style and their natural beauty. I’m prepping the models with Redken All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner, then adding in the Redken No Blow Dry cream once towel-dried to enhance each girl’s natural texture, whether they have short hair, long hair, curls or texture," said Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau.
Get the Look:
- Prep hair by washing with Redken All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Add in a quarter-sized amount of Redken No Blow Dry cream based on your hair type and evenly distribute through your lengths and ends.
- Allow hair to air-dry naturally to bring out your own natural texture, scrunching if needed.
- Use your fingers to smooth down your hair line and add in a tiny bit of Redken No Blow Dry cream once dry to tame any additional frizz.
Ruth Roche, Pureology Global Artistic Ambassador, led the hair team at this season’s Zero + Maria Cornejo NYFW presentation.
“Maria really wanted to go with something that had a natural feel to it; she didn’t want us to take the women away from what they are naturally," Roche said. "We’re working with the natural texture in the hair and a side part to give it the lived-in feel."
Get the Look:
- Prep hair with Pureology Hydrate Shampoo and Condition.
- On damp hair, spritz in Clean Volume Instant Levitation Mist and blow dry.
- Use a 1 ¼” curling iron to add bend to the hair, working section by section.
- Finish the look with Strengthening Control for added hold and shine.
Aveda Global Creative Director Antoinette Beenders and the Aveda styling team created the hair look for PRISCAVera’s F/W 2018 runway show.Inspired by the fabrics in the collection, Beenders added shine to the hair by spraying Aveda Air ControlTM Light Hold Hair Spray to the slicked-back front section of the models’ hair, then twisted the back into a “corset braid.”
Get the Look:
- Spray Thickening Tonic throughout dry hair
- Blow dry Thickening Tonic into hair using either a large round brush or a flat brush to smooth hair straight
- Spray hair with Air Control and flat iron ends
- Gather a horseshoe-shaped section on top of the head
- Take a small horizontal section from the crown of the horseshoe-shaped section. Split this horizontal section in two, creating two tiny ponytails and secure with elastic.
- Continue taking horizontal sections, working your way to the front hairline. Spray Air Control at the roots of each section, and comb hair back and in-between the two ponytails.
- Once hair is all sprayed and combed back, wrap the two small ponytails around this main section – over the top, cross and wrap back around – and secure with elastic
- Finish with a light mist of Air Control to set