The SAG Awards have officially kicked off the 2022 awards season. Over the next several weeks, hairstyle inspiration for special events and day-to-day life will abound. Stick with us to see all the must-see looks!
Here we round up nine must-copy hairstyles from the SAG Awards' red carpet.
The actress’ sleek blunt bob was styled by hairstylist Danielle Priano. She explains how she achieved the look in just seven steps.
- I used Glam Seamless Dark Brown Single Clip Ins to create a sleek and blunt bob on Vanessa, tucking her hair underneath. Extensions and wigs are great way to play with length without fully committing to cutting your real hair.
- After sectioning the hair, I applied SexyHair Powder Play Lite Soft Volumizing & Texturizing Powder to help seal the clip-in’s so that everything was seamless and smooth.
- Once her hair was wet, I used SexyHair Root Pump Volumizing Spray Mousse at her roots. I then coated the rest of her hair with the Active Recovery Repairing Blow Dry Foam. The product is super lightweight but helped lock in moisture and shape to carry Vanessa through the night.
- Before using a flatiron, I made sure to spray Vanessa’s hair with SexyHair Protect Me 450° Hot Tool Protection Spray.
- Once her hair was straightened – I did this in 1.5” sections – I created a middle part in her hair and sprayed it with SexyHair Smooth & Seal Shine & Anti-frizz Spray. Since the red carpet was outdoors it was critical to avoid any chance of humidity drying the look out, and this really helps seal everything in.
- As a final touch I lightly sprayed her hair with the SexyHair Spray and Play Volumizing Hairspray. We decided to have one side of her hair tucked behind her ear to create some elegant imbalance on both sides, then she was out the door.
Hairstylist Takisha Sturdivant-Drew styled the West Side Story actress’ hair for the evening. Sturdivant-Drew breaks down the look in the following steps.
- First, I shampooed her hair with NEW Maui Moisture Strength & Length + Castor & Neem Oil Shampoo.
- Then I used Maui Moisture Strength & Length + Castor & Neem Oil Conditioner and let it sit in her hair for 10-minutes to really lock in that moisture.
- Then I smoothed her strands out with the T3 Detangle Duo Brush and then blew out her hair with the T3 Fit Blow Dryer which made her hair silky straight.
- I parted sections of the hair once it was smoothed and clipped in TSD Hair Extensions to give it that pop of color, which complemented the dress so nicely.
- Once the hair was dry and the extensions were in place, I gave her a deep side part on the right side of her hair and smoothed at the root down using Maui Moisture Flexible Hold + Coconut Milk Curl Foam Mousse. This product really allowed me to mold her hair and emphasize some of those tighter curls on the other side of her head.
- Last, I used the NEW Maui Moisture Frizz Free + Shea Butter Elongated Gel in the very back to keep all of the fly aways in check. It is a lighter hold gel so gave some added shine and still allowed hair to have movement.
Hairstylist Lona Vigi created Reese Witherspoon’s old Hollywood waves with a little help from René Furterer’s STYLE range and L’Oréal styling tools.
- Lona makes sure that she starts the look with wet hair applying René Furterer’s STYLE range to ensure the look stays intact through the whole night.
- She applies gel to the front pieces only and secures the hair with flat clips to really drive home the dramatic wave shape.
- Lona then split Reese’s hair into sections and began drying hair with a medium round brush working her way upwards.
- Once hair is dry, she uses L’Oréal Professionnel’s Steampod Flat Iron and Styler.
- Lona holds the iron in a vertical position, starting at one side and working her way to the other, wrapping the hair through the iron, and creating the shape she wanted with wrist movements, then letting it cool. “It seemed to add this entire sheen of extra gloss to the hair and for sure made it look healthier,” she explains.
- The steam from the styler causes hair to have a glass-like finish with zero frizz. Lona also adds “the size of the plates on the iron was great for a more technical style. If you’re looking to take your hair game up a notch, I would recommend investing in this tool. It gives hair-commercial looking hair!”
- Once all the waves are done, she brushes the hair out to create “old Hollywood” waves making sure to keep in texture and loose shape.
- After the waves were all brushed out, she sprays roots to ends with the René Furterer Style products to lock in the style, then re-glided a boar bristle brush delicately over the hair to further shape and complete the style.
Hairstylist Ursula Stephen created a showstopping braid look for the King Richard actress.
- Ursula started with cleansed hair and added in Living Proof 5-in-1 styling treatment to help smooth and condition hair prior to styling.
- After the products are added in, Ursula blow dries to make sure hair is completely dry misting entire head with Living Proof Flex Shaping Spray.
- She went over Demi’s hair in small and medium sections with L’Orêal Professionnel’s Steampod Flatiron Styler. The Steampod rids of any fly aways and keeps hair looking sleek.
- Splitting hair into two sections, Ursula divides hair down the middle and uses Living Proof’s Curl Moisturizing Shine Oil.
- Secure each section into a low bun with elastics and add synthetic hair to each section while braiding.
- Once the braids are complete, secure with another elastic at the ends.
“I was inspired by the effortless glamour of the 1970s. Lauren Hutton was an inspiration, and her hair is one of my favorite references from this era,” explains hairstylist Bryce Scarlett who styled Kirsten Dunst’s blonde tresses.
- Starting with clean, wet hair, apply the René Furterer STYLE Sculpting Mousse at the roots and René Furterer STYLE Blowout Balm throughout the hair.
- Blow out the hair with a boar bristle brush, into a deep side part, while also adding volume to the root.
- Curl the hair with a 1 1/4 curling iron, pinning curls with setting clips.
- Then, brush out the curl by applying the Rene Furterer Naturia Dry Shampoo to a flat boar bristle brush to distribute the product throughout the hair.
- Using a dime size amount of the René Furterer STYLE Modeling Paste, work hair back into place and mold into the desired shape.
- Finish the look with a light spray of the René Furterer STYLE Shine Mist for an extra boost of gloss and the René Furterer STYLE Finishing Spray for hold.
Wella Professionals celebrity stylist Mara Roszak created nominee’s showstopping Grecian braid using the following steps.
- Prior to any styling, the key products I like to use are Wella Professionals Fusionplex Shampoo and Conditioner which will protect the hair from any further damage during the styling process.
- I then began by applying RŌZ Santa Lucia Styling Oil to Juno's hair from roots to ends, spritzing the hairline with water before blowing it smooth.
- I blew out her bangs and parted to the side for a Francoise Hardy- inspired bang.
- To gather the hair high up on top of Junos’s crown, I used the Wella Professionals EIMI Pearl Styler Styling Gel, a gentle moldable gel, to tame unwanted flyaways and create a smooth pony.
- Since I wanted the braid to have volume & texture, I applied Wella Professionals EIMI Rugged Texture Paste to my fingertips and braided her hair “imperfectly” leaving a natural effortless finish.
- I secured the ends with a bit of gold wire and sprayed the hair all over with the strong, but touchable hold Wella Professionals EIMI Stay Firm Workable Finishing Hairspray.
Stylist and groomer Mira Chai Hyde styled Kieran Culkin using American Crew products. The look was a classic and polished style to complement his tuxedo.
- Mira started by taking a dime size portion of American Crew Pomade and Grooming Cream, rubbing them together between her palms to warm the products up and make it easier to apply.
- She then raked it evenly and thoroughly throughout Kieran's hair starting on the sides first, then the back and lastly the top for even distribution.
- Mira sprayed his hair with a little water and used a comb to style his hair into the desired shape. Then she applied a little bit of American Crew Forming Cream with her fingers to spot apply. This added texture and control where needed like the tops and sides of his hair to keep in place.
- And for final touches she tousled the top of his hair with my fingers to give it a more natural finish. Ready to go!
Hairstylist Bobby Eliot used the René Furterer STYLE collection on Alexandra Daddario for the night’s festivities.
“The inspiration for Alex’s look tonight was bombshell. Alex is wearing a custom Versace gown and we wanted the hair to feel like a cross between 90’s supermodel and a classic Hollywood starlet. The look is full and bouncy with smooth glossy waves” gushed Eliot.
- We started off with towel dried hair. I first applied René Furterer Style Sculpting Mousse and René Furterer Style Blowout Balm from roots to ends. I then sprayed René Furterer Style Thermal Protecting Spray on the ends of the hair for optimal protection.
- Using a round brush I blow dried the hair for maximum root lift. After the hair was dry, I created a deep side part using a tail comb to get a super clean side part.
- Next, I sprayed René Furterer Style Finishing Spray all over the hair section by section. Using a marcel curling iron I crated a classic set.
- When the hair was still hot, I used Velcro rollers to pin the hair up and set in place. I let the hair cool and set completely.
- After the hair was completely cool, I then removed the Velcro rollers. Using my hands and fingers I started to shake out the hair creating shape and volume.
- I then used a Mason Pearson Brush, spraying René Furterer Style Finishing Spray directly into the bristles of the brush and started to brush out the hair to create and form a wave in the hair.
- Lastly, using René Furterer Style Shine Mist I misted the hair for a high gloss shiny finishing touch.
“Jessica’s look tonight was inspired by her Dior suit. I wanted to create a modern Jerry Hall look. Something that was strong, feminine and chic,” said Renato Campora who used Olivia Garden styling tools to achieve the look. He breaks down how he achieved the style here.
- To achieve this look, I started out by drying Jessica’s hair by sections using the Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Blow Dryer and Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Speed XL brush.
- Once Jessica’s hair was completely dry, I then created a super straight middle part using the Olivia Garden CarbonLite Comb.
- Next, I sectioned off the hair by 1-inch all the way around using the Olivia Garden DoubleClips. I then began to curl each section of Jessica’s hair using the Olivia Garden Titanium + Ion Curling Iron, pinning them with the Olivia Garden DoubleClip Petite clips to cool and set.
- Once all of Jessica’s hair was set and taken down, I took the front two pieces and tucked them tightly behind her ears.
- To finish off the look, I spayed a generous amount of hairspray to ensure the look and volume would hold.