With spooky season in full swing, now more than ever is the time to get inventive with the hairstyles you create for your clients.
“Halloween is an exciting time for hairstylists to wave their creative wands and create fun styles," explains hairstylist Anna Peters, owner of re:TREAT Color + Hair Design and Studio (@annas_hair_retreat), who created the look for her daughter Bennett. "Inspired by the book “5 Little Pumpkins,” this adorable bubble braid is a cute style for the little ones."
Follow the step-by-step tutorial to recreate these spooky bubble braids.
- Brush hair thoroughly to make sure it is tangle-free. Working with a paddle brush will make this scary task an easy one. Smooth out any waves or curls with a straightening iron to give a silky smooth surface and more control when making pumpkins.
- Divide hair vertically down center back creating a left and right side.
- Starting on the right side, use a tail comb to divide hair at a diagonal forward from center back to above ear. Secure with an elastic. Drop down 2” and repeat including hair from above section.
- Using tail comb or fingers, gently pull and puff hair between the two elastics. Expand hair until happy with the size and shape of the first pumpkin.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 all the way down the hair until 5 bubbles/ little pumpkins are made. Repeat on left side of head.
- Spray temporary orange hair color down and around each pumpkin.
- Tie green ribbons at the top of each pumpkin covering the elastics.
- Use black paper to cut out eyes and mouths for each pumpkin and adhere with a small amount of hair gel, googly eyes can also be used.
“Have fun with this super easy style and get creative," adds Peters. "You could use white paint to make ghosts…green for aliens or witches!”