Ricky Pennisi, salon owner and founder of RI CI haircare, knows that those long summer days spent in the surf and sun can wreak havoc on your clients' strands. It's essential that they know how to properly care for their hair during the hotter months so that they can enjoy every sun-soaked moment without excessive damage. Below, Ricky shares his top 5 tips that stylists can employ in the salon and share with their clients to make sure that this summer is the most beautiful one yet!
- Tip 1: Invest in sulfate-free shampoo and conditioners like RI CI Splash and Drench for clients who have wavy to coily hair. Since sodium lauryl sulfate strips the hair of its natural oils, your clients will leave with a great blowout and in a few hours frizz will begin to set in especially in warmer weathers. Remember, hair works just like a sponge, so fill it with water-based products that will hydrate your client’s hair. If you satisfy the hair’s thirst, this will prevent it from getting frizzy and dry outside and prolong the blowout you just gave.
- Tell your washers to never put conditioner above their crown line. The oils in the conditioner are too heavy for the scalp and can leave a greasy feeling.
- Tip 3: Apply styling products only to wet hair. Once hair starts to dry without products, frizz begins to set in. Dry hair is most fragile to frizz. Use a brush/comb only on wet hair.
- Tip 4: Touch your client’s hair as little as possible while wet. Over manipulation of wet hair that’s curly or naturally wavy will lead to frizz. Once hair is completely dry, feel free to manipulate it freely. This is especially important for clients who have curly to coily hair.
- Tip 5: Don’t forget that heat causes the hair cuticle to split open, which creates frizz. When blow-drying or using a diffusor, set it to a medium setting. It might take a little longer, but it’s better for your client’s hair.