Matrix recently released its Fall/Winter 2015 Trend collection, entitled True Pioneers. The collection is inspired by the spirit of the American West and the history of early American settlers who traveled to unexplored territory in search of a new life. Today, the story of America's pioneers has evolved into a modern day fantasy of Western life through contemporary global fashion. Inspired by the raw red rocks, wild prairies and searing deserts, this collection leaves no frontier unexplored.
Look 1: “Red Rock Canyon”
1. On damp hair, apply STYLE LINK Volume Booster at the top and through the back for height and fullness. Blow-dry. Once dry, back brush to create height at the crown.
2. Use a styling brush at fringe and sides smoothing hair towards the back center hairline. Apply STYLE LINK Gloss Booster to create a smooth, sleek shape at the sides of the style. Secure hair at back with a band.
3. Flat iron the mid-lengths to ends of top/crown. Secure with pins. Using a narrow sub-section from the side hairline create a braid to camouflage elastic and enhance style. Release accent pieces at front to personalize style.
COLOR FORMULAS – natural level 6
FORMULA A: COLORINSIDER 5RC & COLORINSIDER Red Concentrate & COLORINSIDER 20 Volume Oil Cream Developer
FORMULA B: COLORINSIDER 8CC+ & COLORINSIDER Orange Concentrate & COLORINSIDER 30 Volume Oil Cream Developer
Begin by making a curved parting in the fringe region from one corner of the eye to the other. This is Section 1 and is approximately 1 inch in depth. Next, create a parting that runs along the parietal ridge on both sides of the head. Connect these partings in the back, just beneath the crown. Secure this as section 2. Create a large triangle that extends to the nape region using the sides of the top section as a guide. This is Section 3. Secure remaining hair on sides as section 4.
1. Apply FORMULA A to the scalp area and FORMULA B through the mid-lengths and ends to all sections except for Sections 2 and 3. Cover with foil for control.
2. In Section 2, create sub-sections, from front to back, that are approximately 1 inch wide. Apply FORMULA A to the scalp area, and vary how far the formula reaches toward the mid-lengths as you work across Section 2. Utilize a side brushing technique to apply FORMULA B to the remaining mid-lengths and ends.
3. Twist the sub-sections toward the back for control and to blend colors. Place foil for control when needed. Process for 35 minutes at room temperature. Rinse thoroughly, cleanse and condition with Matrix Biolage COLORLAST Shampoo & Conditioner.
Look 2: "Rustic Tumble"
1. On damp hair apply cocktail of STYLE LINK Smooth Setter and Hold Booster. Blow-dry. Spray with STYLE LINK Heat Buffer and use varied sizes of Marcel irons to create modern movement. Expand the set with STYLE LINK Texture Builder and Over Achiever, creating random rolls and secure into desired shape. Wrap silhouette with a leather twine for a stylized finish and perfect with STYLE LINK Volume Fixer.
2. On dry hair, section as shown, dividing top and bottom from recession areas through occipital. Isolate circular section at top crown. Divide section below crown in half vertically and divide front section in two equal parts. Isolate sides.
3. Spray with STYLE LINK Heat Buffer and use varied sizes of Marcel irons to create modern movement. The larger irons are used throughout the bottom section, and smaller throughout the top.
4. Expand the set with STYLE LINK Texture Builder and Over Achiever, creating random rolls and secure into desired shape. Wrap silhouette with a leather twine for a stylized finish and perfect with STYLE LINK Volume Fixer.
COLOR FORMULAS – Natural level 2
FORMULA A: LIGHTINSIDER & COLORINSIDER 20 Volume Oil Cream Developer
FORMULA B: COLORINSIDER 4NW & COLORINSIDER 20 Volume Oil Cream Developer
FORMULA C: COLORINSIDER 6GV & COLORINSIDER 10 Volume Oil Cream Developer
FORMULA D: COLORINSIDER 9G & COLORINSIDER Yellow Concentrate & COLORINSIDER 10 Volume Oil Cream Developer
Create a large circular section at the top of the head that reaches below the parietal region.
1. Pivot around the top section taking random slices and apply FORMULA A to mid-lengths and ends of chosen slices. Protect with foil.
2. Divide hair for control. Apply FORMULA B to hair at the scalp area. Use a painting technique to alternate formulas. Alternate FORMULA C and D to pre-lightened pieces and protect with foil. Apply FORMULA B to all remaining hair.
3. Process for 35 minutes at room temperature. Rinse thoroughly, cleanse and condition using Matrix Biolage COLORLAST Shampoo & Conditioner.
Look 3: "Majestic Lace"
1. Section the hair from ear to ear across the top of the head.
2. Create two off-center ponytails; one in the front section, the other in the back section just below the crown. Apply STYLE LINK Hold Booster to the ponytails.
3. Starting in the front ponytail, create a large three strand braid. Loosen, expand and separate strands. Drape across the top of the head along the front hairline, secure.
4. Proceed to back ponytail. Braid, loosen and connect design lines by securing the second braided pony on top of the first, creating a slightly asymmetrical shape. Personalize texture by expanding braid and separating some pieces around the hairline. Apply STYLE LINK Height Riser at scalp area and create texture and volume by finger teasing.
COLOR FORMULAS – Natural Level 7
FORMULA A: SOBLUR Clear & Matrix 10 Volume Cream Developer
FORMULA B: LIGHTINSIDER & COLORINSIDER 20 Volume Oil Cream Developer
FORMULA C: COLORINSIDER 10V & COLORINSIDER 6R & COLORINSIDER Red Concentrate & COLORINSIDER 10 Volume Oil Cream Developer
FORMULA D: COLORINSIDER 10A & COLORINSIDER 1N & COLORINSIDER Blue Concentrate & COLORINSIDER 10 Volume Oil Cream Developer
FORMULA E: COLOR SYNC SPV & Matrix 10 Volume Cream Developer
Take a curved parting in fringe region that extends from the corner of the eye on one side to the other. Create a curved parting that begins at the hairline from previous to behind ear and repeat on opposite side. Take a radial parting from ear to ear and secure front and back sections separately.
1. Beginning on the right side, take a ¼ inch slide and place on foil. Apply FORMULA B through the entire strand staying just off-scalp. Leave a small slice in between foils and repeat until section complete. Repeat on the other side and fringe sections. Process to Pale Yellow or up to 50 minutes at room temperature. Rinse thoroughly, cleanse and dry.
2. On the pre-lightened hair in side section take a diagonal slice. Visually divide the foil into thirds. Apply FORMULA C to the scalp area 2-4 inches out. Then, apply FORMULA D to the middle section and FORMULA E to the ends. Cover each slice with foil, do not fold.
MASTERY POINT: Meld each formula with the next by using a side brushing technique. Continue to apply color in the same manner to previously lightened sections.
See more from the True Pioneers collection below!
Image courtesy of 24 Seven Inc." />