To create a truly couture hairstyle for the runway at Alexander McQueen’s Spring/Summer 2016 show, Redken Global Creative Director Guido used a needle and thread to sew the models’ hair into beautiful, romantic updos. "This season, Sarah [Burton] wanted a look that was very touchable and real, but I couldn’t leave the hair too real because we needed to find a way to still make it very McQueen," said Guido. "I thought about putting fabric into a sewing machine and then pulling it out again. This idea of sewing the hair feels very romantic, but a bit futuristic and extreme in a way.
"I used Redken’s wind blown 05 to add some guts and texture to the hair, and then knotted the hair a bit in the thread, and then pulled it looser, so it’s very easy and natural. Then, I just kept sewing it to create these loose, twisted loops down the length of the hair. All of the mistakes are sewn in, and they’re part of what makes the look so beautiful."
Get the Look:
- Start with clean hair by washing with All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Spray Redken One United all-in-one multi-benefit treatment all over damp hair and comb through.
- Roughly blow dry hair so it is smooth and slightly straight.
- Spray Redken wind blown 05 dry finishing spray all over hair to enhance texture.
- Take small sections of hair, starting from the top, and thread the hair so that it loops around itself and crosses over to the other side.
- Continue threading small sections of hair down the full length of the hair.
- Pull out random wispy pieces of hair from the loops so it’s a bit imperfect.