The sundresses, the thoroughbreds, the hats and fascinators – there is an undeniable energy and elegance to the annual Kentucky Derby that reminds us of the thrill of dressing up and flaunting our finest. Whether your client is heading to Louisville on May 2nd, or will be toasting with her mint julep from afar, Pureology Artistic Ambassador Ruth Roche has the perfect hairstyles to match.
“Events like the Kentucky Derby call for elaborate hats, but the look can become too busy when the hair is worn down or if the hair is too textured," says Roche. "If [your client] is going to wear it down, [she should] wear smooth waves all over to one side. This look is clean, beautiful, and does not distract from the hat. Wearing [her] hair in a side chignon, which sits to one side at the nape, is a beautiful and visible style to wear with a hat without distracting from the hat’s beauty. Another benefit is that the hair will still look great when [she] takes off the hat - no hat hair!”
Get the Look: Side Chignon
- Blow-dry hair with Pureology Pure Volume Levitation Mist and a round brush to create volume and hold.
- Curl away from the face using a 1 ¼ inch barrel iron. Set style with Colour Stylist Strengthening Control zero dulling hairspray as you go.
- Create a side part, smooth over and around the head and create a sleek ponytail on one side at the nape.
- Apply a small amount of Colour Stylist Cuticle Polisher shine serum into your palm and rub palms together until the cream turns to a serum. Smooth over the entire surface of the hair except for the ponytail, which will create amazing shine.
- Twist ponytail all the way to the end, and hold on to the ends. Use your other hand to hold the hair close to the head as you wrap the twisted ponytail around the elastic.
- When you reach the ends, tuck them under the "bun" you have created and secure with bobby pins.
- Spray with Colour Stylist Supreme Control high hold hairspray for a lasting hold.
[Image: Nicole Betti via Flickr Creative Commons]