amika, the Brooklyn-based, B Corp-certified hair care brand, introduces the amika Stylist Collective, a team of visionary hairstylists to represent amika’s artistry and education program.
amika will launch the Stylist Collective with an inaugural class of five stylists—Yene Damtew, Jes Jewel, Pekela Riley, Sal Salcedo and Eric Vaughn—who will be responsible for ideating amika’s education classes and content that the brand will transform into curriculum. These stylists will create fresh, inspirational, salon-friendly classes and content; attend national pop-up events and large-scale brand events; and create digital and educational social media content for the amika pro stylist community.
“The amika Stylist Collective has been a long time in the making,” says Chelsea Riggs, amika CEO. “Not only are these artists trailblazers in the industry and within their respective specialties, but each embodies amika's core brand values of sustainability, responsibility and inclusivity. We couldn't be more excited to partner with these elite stylists to bring best-in-class professional education to our stylists and salon community. Expect to see much more from this incredible group of artists in 2024 and beyond.”
Meet the amika Stylist Collective
Each member of the amika Stylist Collective offers their own unique style, artistic specialties and industry-leading experience. The amika Stylist Collective members include:
- Yene Damtew (@yenedamtew) Washington D.C. Metro Area: Yene is an Ethiopian-American salon owner and hairstylist, with nearly two decades in the industry. She's driven by a passion for making a lasting impact through her holistic approach to beauty, blending business, education and hairstyling.
- Jes Jewel (@thejesjewel) Los Angeles, CA: Jes is a talented queer color specialist and celebrity stylist at the award-winning Butterfly Loft Salon in LA. She is best known for creating hand-painted buzzcuts and her popular styling content. Her work draws inspiration from her ’90s roots and LA's artistic community.
- Pekela Riley (@pekelariley) Jacksonville, FL: Pekela is an award-winning celebrity stylist, advocate and educator shaping the fashion-, beauty-, and texture-verse.
- Sal Salcedo (@salsalhair) Los Angeles, CA: Originally from Mexico, Sal is a talented hairstylist with more than two decades in the industry. He has made a name for himself working with celebrities and creating iconic hairstyles.
- Eric Vaughn (@realericvaughn) Houston, TX: Salon owner and hair aficionado, Eric is famous for his ability to blend modern and classic styles through cuts, color and extensions.
As a salon-raised haircare brand, amika strives to elevate and support the professional industry with its product and educational offerings. The addition of the Stylist Collective to the brand's education organization will continue to strengthen its professional roots through unique points of view, new hair and business techniques and increased stylist community exposure.