Angel del Solar, cofounder of 18.21 Man Made Grooming, has a message for unisex salons: “Don’t think of your men’s services as just a haircut to be squeezed in between your other salon appointments,” he says. “Guys want better services and products, so take some time to create options for them.” According to del Solar, adding men’s services will typically grow a salon’s revenue by as much as 30 percent.
One of the most effective and rewarding opportunities to promote men’s services is just around the corner: The facial- hair-themed “Movember” movement, launched in 2013 to raise awareness of men’s health issues, such as prostate and testicular cancer, throughout the month of November. The marketing mavens at 18.21 Man Made suggest the following activities to boost business while supporting a worthy cause:
- Host a “Movember” charity fundraiser
- Create a month-long special promotion related to beard and mustache services
- Offer a November-only discount on at-home facial hair products, such as beard oil, shaving glides and waxes
- Sponsor a social media-driven contest for extreme beard and mustache styles
- Donate a portion of proceeds from men’s services and/or products to a local men’s health charity
[Image: Courtesy of 18.21 Man Made]