Summertime means more sunshine and longer days, and more time spent outside at the pool, at the beach, or at a summer barbecue. However, all of this time spent outdoors in the heat and humidity can lead to some hair troubles. Sam Villa, Founding Partner of Sam Villa and Redken Education Artistic Director, suggests advising clients to switch up their hair care rituals with the seasons. In the summer, protecting hair from the sun, water, chlorine and salt is a full time job while trying to look chic on the beach and poolside. Here are 5 summertime hair fixes Villa describes as "simplexity" – simple tips that deliver complex results.
1. Protect: All those wonderful summer things like heat, sand and salt air can wreak havoc on hair. Oils like Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine are light and deliver restorative and protective properties that maintain optimal health and control during the summer months. Perfect for 2nd and 3rd day hair and great for adding shine.
2. Set: Take advantage of the braid parade - tame hair poolside by braiding and then remove the set in the evening for casual curl and texture – can it be any easier?
3. Temperature: Don’t crank thermal tools up during the summer months when hair is fragile, stick to medium and color treated temperatures. And, slow down to speed up – slow down the pass with the iron so heat is directed to the sections of hair that need to be altered. This prevents unnecessary wear on hair and styles it much faster.
4. Spray: Hairspray is a women’s best friend, especially in summer when humidity and fly-aways are a factor. Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Hairspray is formulated with Vitamins C and E to protect hair and prevent color fading, and it provides 24-hour humidity resistance and 8-hour control.
5. Shine: Blondes tend to be less shiny than darker hair hues. Pump up the gloss with Redken Shine Flash 02 Glistening Mist - it has Vitamin B5 and Camelina oil to boost hair's natural shine and control frizz for an ultra polished look.