UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS WITH THE BOARD…
During these unprecedented times the Health Licensing Office (HLO) is finding new ways to notify and inform authorization holders of current information such as pandemic guidance, administrative rule changes and fees. One way this is being done is by sending information to the email listed in each certification record. If your email address is not accurate you may not receive notification of important policy information. To update your email address, you can:
- Send us an email, including your name and license number and your new address or work location, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill out and mail the Information Update Form to the address on this page.
- Send us a letter, including your name and license number and your new email address.
ATTEND A BOARD OF COSMETOLOGY MEETING BY PHONE
During these unprecedented times HLO is finding new ways to allow the authorization holders and the public to participate in Board Meetings through telephone conference call.
2021 Meeting Dates
- August 16 at 9 am
- November 15 at 9 am
Upcoming Meeting Topics
- 2021 Legislation
–HB 2970 Defines “device” for purposes of practice of advanced nonablative esthetics. Allows person certified to practice esthetics to use items other than devices. Prohibits person certified to practice esthetics from using mechanical or electrical apparatus, appliance or device without specific authorization by Board of Certified Advanced Estheticians. Defines “mechanical or electrical apparatus, appliance or device.”
–HB 2971 Abolishes Board of Certified Advanced Estheticians and transfers responsibilities to HLO and Board of Cosmetology. Directs office to issue certificate to practice advanced nonablative esthetics procedures to qualified applicant. Takes effect on 91st day following adjournment sine die.
–SB74 Requires that cosmetology field of practice curriculum taught by career school meet standards established by Board of Cosmetology and be approved by HLO. Requires career school to obtain certificate of compliance from office and meet safety and hygiene standards established by board and office. Requires career school certification by January 2, 2022. Takes effect on 91st day following adjournment sine die.
- Limited Enforcement Waiver for Estheticians HLO is exercising its discretion to not impose discipline for violations of the uncertified practice of advanced esthetics by estheticians through June 30, 2021. This discretion would only apply to:
-Certified estheticians regulated by the Board of Cosmetology who do not have an advanced esthetics certificate; AND
-Use of the following devices: galvanic current, high-frequency, microcurrents, light-emitting diode therapy, or microdermabrasion.
Conference Call Instructions
Approximately five minutes prior to the start of the meeting please follow the directions listed below:
- Dial 1(877)336-1828 and enter the following participants pass code: 4111788 to be connected to the meeting. This phone line will stay connected for the duration of the meeting.
- The teleconference system will notify you that you are connected. For the record, Office staff will do a roll call of all audience members prior to and after the Executive Session.
- All audience members are asked to keep their phones muted. Public comment will ONLY be accepted under Public/Interested Parties Feedback Period.
Audience members are asked to send email to April Fleming at email@example.com stating they are logged on to the conference call and whether they want to make a comment during the public and interested parties feedback period.
ONLINE RENEWAL REMINDERS
The HLO would like to remind our authorization holders about the following when preparing to renew your authorization online:
- Authorization holders can renew online within 45 days of their expiration date. It is highly suggested you do not wait until the date your authorization is expiring to renew online. Allow yourself a few extra days before your authorization expires in case you need customer service assistance, incur internet service problems or run into system maintenance windows.
- You will need a PIN to renew your authorization online. This PIN will be printed on a courtesy renewal notification mailed to you approximately 45 days in advance of your authorization expiring. If you do not have your PIN, please call (503) 378-8667, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for it. Be sure your current address is on file with the HLO so you will receive your renewal notification timely.
- When renewing online you must wait for the transaction to process (this could take several seconds). Do not hit the back button under any circumstances. If you receive an error message, do not process or input your payment information again or you will be charged for each time you submit your information. If you are unsure your renewal processed, please check your debit or credit transactions first to see if you have been charged before attempting to enter your information again. If you submit your payment information more than once, it could take between 7-10 business days to refund your overpayment(s).
When you enter an address for your credit card payment, the address entered does not automatically update your address on file with the HLO. If you have a change in address, you must notify the HLO in writing by sending an email to: email@example.com, or mail your address change notification to: Health Licensing Office, 1430 Tandem Ave, NE, Suite 180, Salem, OR 97301-2192.
Cosmetology Advisory Board Recruitment
DOL has two new seats open on the Cosmetology Advisory Board:
- Private School
- Apprentice Salon
If you are interested on serving and meet the qualifications, please apply for this opportunity.
The application can be found at https://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/600004A.pdf
Please email your completed application and the required documents to PLSSUnit@dol.wa.gov by March 8th, 2021.
Visit https://www.dol.wa.gov/business/cosmetology/cosboardmembers.html, for more information.