The Professional Beauty Association (PBA) has announced its second-annual California Compliance Symposium.
This virtual, half-day event will take place Monday, March 8, 2021 from 9am-1pm PST.
It will feature leading professional industry experts as they take an in-depth look at critical California labor and wage laws and share pandemic recovery resources. This exclusive event will review and discuss employee classification, business compliance, post-pandemic tax filing information and provide a state legislative update.
Panel speakers at the Symposium include:
- Dan Muller, CA compliance legal expert
- April McDaniel, financial and tax industry leader
- Brandon Butler, Department of Fair Employment & Housing
- And other California legal and beauty industry experts
“The COVID-19 pandemic has presented the beauty industry with innumerable challenges, especially in the state of California. As the industry’s leading resource and advocate, we are honored to bring together such an esteemed group of experts to shed light on critical business issues and legislation,” says Steve Sleeper, executive director of PBA.
The conference will highlight issues including:
- Post-COVID pandemic compliance
- Legal forms of compensation in an employee-based establishment
- Compliant booth rental establishment
- The difference between hourly, piece rate (AB1513), and commission (SB490) forms of pay
- New updates regarding AB5 and the ABC test resulting from the Dynamex case
- Occupational licensing updates
- Employee classification
- IRS updates and information
- Workplace health and safety within the salon
- Qualifications and the availability of business loans and grants
“In addition to the obvious challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, business owners in our industry have experienced a number of recent changes to California labor and wage laws. We want our members to be aware of all the pandemic recovery resources available to them and to help them operate compliant and successful businesses. By providing experts at events like our California Symposium, we can share clear and correct information regarding complex issues,” says Myra Reddy, government affairs director of PBA.