Paul Mitchell’s Color Outside the Lines Contest Rewards Hair Colorists

Paul Mitchell Color Outside

Now in its third year, Color Outside the Lines is a special hair color competition held by Paul Mitchell Professional Hair Color that offers colorists the opportunity to show off their unique talents through the power of a haircolor makeover. In return, contest entrants are in the running for a series of prizes, including a paid trip to attend Paul Mitchell The Gathering, John Paul Mitchell Systems’ industry extravaganza for salon professionals. “Winning the contest positively impacted me by giving me the ability to believe in myself as a stylist and my skill sets,” says Kim Gordon, last year’s grand prize winner from Roswell, GA. “I’ve become a better artist and aim to take my work to the next level.”

VIDEO: Paul Mitchell Schools Held Annual Caper 2018 at The Disneyland Hotel

Using Paul Mitchell Professional Hair Color and lightener products to achieve the look, eligible colorists can enter as Best National Entry (licensed professionals) or Best Student Entry (enrolled in cosmetology school). New to this year’s contest, participants may choose to submit for the Natural Makeover or Creative Makeover categories. “The look I created was a vision of Mardi Gras and what each color represents,” Gordon explains. “Purple represents wisdom and dignity; green represents harmony, growth and freshness; and yellow represents sunshine.”

RELATED: The Beauty Changes Lives Experience Will Return to ABS

Contestants are judged for individual vision: 70 percent on hair color technique, choice of colors, and how the hair color respects the cut and style; and the other 30 percent on overall vision, creativity and interpretation of the trend. Finalists will be announced on May 15; finalist presentations will take place at The Gathering in Las Vegas this July. “This contest is a great way to challenge yourself and show your talent to the world,” adds Gordon. “It’s also a terrific avenue to stay inspired and motivated to do things that you normally wouldn’t do—and that means coloring outside the lines.”

John Paul Dejoria

Calling All Colorists

Entry Period: Now through April 1, 2018 More Info: Visit

More in Events