In terms of hair, 2022 has already seen a lot of change. As 2021 ended, there were emerging cut, color and styling trends budding, all of which burst into full bloom in early January. And this year’s hair trends are anything but boring. They exemplify the true freedom that comes from shedding the weight of a lived-in year and opening oneself to a new one. Here, the Salonory content team shares five of the most notable haircut trends in 2022.
1. Long, glamorous waves: While short hair is having a moment right now, it is important to keep in mind that beautiful, healthy long hair never goes out of style. Long-haired babes everywhere are heading to the salon to get a blowout with lots of body and shine. This cut has healthiness and sheen as its top goals, making it the perfect style to try for 2022. For this style, length can range from the shoulders downward.
2. Stylish Bangs: Last year, curtain bangs were everything. The bangs became an iconic hairstyle seen at awards shows, on the street and everywhere in between. 2022 brought with it “bottleneck bangs,” the trendy and fabulous little sister to curtain bangs. The high-to-low bangs style begins just above the brows and widens with the face, hugging the cheekbones and mimicking the shape of a long-neck glass bottle, hence the name. The best part? Trendy bottleneck bangs require little maintenance and look perfectly imperfect with just a bit of professional texture spray before walking out the door.
3. The Bixie: A hybrid between the classic bob and the pixie cut, the Bixie came in hot as the poster for trendy hair at the starting line of 2022. The haircut was first made famous during the ’90s glam era and was adopted by celebrities like Winona Ryder and even Princess Diana. While the Bixie is customizable and allows for creative touches, it typically includes shaggy layers, lots of texture and a flattering, face-framing length that sometimes gives off super-chic shag and mullet vibes. The Bixie looks good on any hair type and styling options range from gorgeous natural looks using minimal products to more put-together styles with a little help from texture spray and other professional hairstyling products.
4. The Modern Shag: While technically introduced last year, contemporary takes on the retro-glam shag hairstyle have gained traction since the beginning of the year. While previous shag queens like Stevie Nicks, Joan Jett and Farrah Fawcett rocked their shag cuts with long layers and big, textured bangs, celebrities like Taylor Swift and Alexa Chung have given us some major inspiration for wearing a modernized version, which features wavy layers, textured pieces, simple bangs and medium-length hair to give it a new twist.
5. Natural Cuts: In addition to the whirlwind of fancy and creative haircut trends this year, there is another trend in the form of haircuts that favor the hair in its most natural shape and form. 2022 is a chance to embrace natural hair and wear it proudly. Whether your client has big curls, soft waves or stick-straight strands, there is a haircut that will help to highlight any hair type and thickness.