In a year full of salon closures, looking good during the endless hours spent on Zoom has been tricky. While most of us (guilty!) have opted for the tried-and-true ponytail or side braid, celebrity hairstylist Nikki Nelms has come to the rescue with two different looks that will freshen up any video call.
With the help of Sebastian Professionals, Nelms created a sleek topknot and a faux bob that your clients can embrace whether they are working from home, going on a FaceTime date or having a virtual wine night with friends.
The Wired Top Knot
1. Set hair by washing with Sebastian Professional Dark Oil Shampoo and Conditioner to smooth and detangle without weighing hair down. Blow-dry.
2. Start by brushing all the hair upwards into a ponytail at the highest point of the head. Secure the ponytail with a sturdy elastic band (Nelms recommends Goody brand).
3. Squeeze a dime-size amount of Sebastian Professional Dark Oil in the palm of your hand and smooth it from the hairline to the base of the ponytail for smooth control and shine.
4. Take a piece of wire that matches the length of the hanging hair and attach it to the ponytail base.
5. Begin to wrap, twist or braid the wire into the hanging hair. Create a cool new shape with the wired hair. Have fun!
7. Finish the look with a generous mist of Sebastian Professional Shaper Plus hairspray for a frizz-free look and long-lasting hold.
8. Option to wrap a jeweled hair accessory through the knot for a unique touch to complete the look.
The Faux Bob with Volume
1. Shampoo and condition hair with Sebastian Professional Dark Oil Shampoo and Conditioner for radiant shine and lightweight body. Blow-dry smooth.
2. Pop in a few hot rollers to the crown of the head to get the volume started. Set the curls and volume with a mist of Sebastian Professional Zero Gravity hairspray for control.
3. Next, separate all the hair into two vertical sections and secure each with a loose elastic at the nape.
4. Use your hands to roll each section of hair up into the base of the neck. Hide and attach the loose hair to the scalp with butterfly clips or bobby pins.
5. Give the hair a very generous mist of Sebastian Professional Shaper Plus hairspray for a strong hold.
6. Embrace any messiness for the ultimate cool vibe.
7. Option to add crisscross hairpins at the hairline for an edgy finish.