Going vintage is always a good call for Halloween. Add a dash of Barbie, and it’s on trend this year!
Karla Valenzuela, Sam Villa Ambassador and Redken Artist, created just the look, inspired by the original Barbie first launched in 1959 dressed in a striped black and white one piece swimsuit.
“I usually do spooky, but I’m thinking Barbie is going to be a hit this Halloween,” Valenzuela shares.
Below, you can find a step-by-step tutorial for bringing the look to life. If you are a more visual learner, you can watch Valenzuela's Instagram reel to see the look come to life in real time.
- Section out a horseshoe section from the corners of the brows to crown.
- On dry hair, spray Redken Root Lifter Spray throughout hair line and directionally blow dry with a Sam Villa Professional Light Ionic Blow Dryer and direct hair towards the center back to set the foundation for a high ponytail.
- Gather hair into a ponytail using a finishing brush. Secure the tail with a butcher’s knot using sewing elastic.
- With finishing brush and Redken Working Hairspray, bring back the horseshoe section and gather it into the first ponytail and secure again with a butcher’s knot.
- There should be a small split between the ponytail. Grab the smallest section (should be the horseshoe section) and bring the hair forward towards the forehead. This will become the faux curly fringe.
- Spray Redken Thermal Spray 22 and use a Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Iron and Wand 1” to curl hair in small sections with figure 6 curls.
- Spray Redken Dry Texture Spray to the ends and use fingers to blouse curls focusing more on the ends.
- Smooth forward the section on top of the head with a finishing brush making sure to not run the brush all the way to the ends.
- Pin curls into place to create the faux fringe. Lightly bend pins to match the curve of the top of the head to prevent them from sticking up and when inserting them, weave through hair for a better grip.
- To give the ponytail more height, use two bobby pins and insert them through a hair elastic. Flip the ponytail up and secure the ponytail with the bobby pins and elastic. A pin should be inserted on the right side and on the left. The elastic will hold to ponytail into place.
- Curl the ponytail using the marcel iron at a vertical angle with figure 6 curls. Make sure all the curls face the same direction.
- Use a finishing brush to style curls and finish with Redken Max Hold Hairspray.