Rona O'Connor, the Goldwell colorist behind Sofia Vergara's new lighter locks (which she debuted at the Emmys), dishes on how she created the color for the Modern Family star. O'Connor used several shades to create dimensional reflection and sparkle, and notes that she always finishes with a shine enhancing gloss or glaze: "I love Elumen for intense shine and long lasting results - I think of it as polyurethane for hair," says O'Connor. "For a natural toning gloss, I use Goldwell Colorance."
PRO PRODUCTS USED: Starting with a level 7 base.
Formula 1: Goldwell Top Chic 15ml 11A mixed with 30ml 40 vol. developer
Formula 2: Goldwell Oxy platin lightner mixed with 20 vol. developer to desired consistency for balayage
Formula 3: Goldwell Top Chic 10ml New Blonde with 10 ml. 20 vol. developer
Formula 4: Goldwell Colorance 15 ml 8G 3ml 10V 36 ml Colorance developer
Prep the hair with Goldwell's Dualsenses Color Structure Equalizer Spray to even out porosity in the hair for better color absorption. For very damaged hair, opt for the Dualsenses Rich Repair Regeneration Serum.
- Foil slices of very fine highlights across the crown with Formula 1. Process for 20 minutes.
- While the foils are still in the hair, apply Formula 2 in a balayage or painting technique to create sun flicks. Randomly aint in 1/3" ribbons 1" apart, from the mid lengths to the ends. Apply this technique vertically around the whole head and process until golden blonde (approximately 10-15 minutes on fine to medium textured hair).
- To keep your techniques neat and to prevent mixing bleach with color, rinse balayage pieces first, then take out your foils. Rinse and shampoo with Goldwell Dualsenes Color Fade Stop Shampoo.
- At the bowl, apply Formula 3 on the hairline, ear to ear, 1" back and painted out the entire length of the hair. Process 5 minutes for one level of lift. Shampoo with Dualsenes Color Fade Stop Shampoo.
- Apply Formula 4 to towel-blotted hair; process for 7-10 minutes. Rinse and condition with Dualsenes Color Extra Rich Detangling Conditioner.