For last night's MTV Movie Awards, Sarah Tanno for Maybelline New York created an edgy, glowing makeup look for model and Maybelline spokesperson Gigi Hadid. “We wanted to create a nod to Donatella Versace’s signature black-rimmed eye — but with a twist of neon yellow that make it punkier,” Tanno explains. Combining the unexpected flash of color with velvety skin, tawny cheeks, and demi-matte nudes lips, she created a look that was equal parts sophisticated and cool — and completely different from any look the model has gone for on a red carpet before.
Get the Look:
- Face: To give the skin a soft semi-matte finish, Tanno applied Dream Velvet Foundation all over, then added Fit Me! Concealer in a shade slightly lighter than Gigi’s skin tone down the center of the nose and under the eyes to brighten. A light dusting of Facestudio Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Powder in Translucent set it all in place.
- Blush and contour: Gigi’s stunning bone structure came into focus thanks to the bronze shade in the Facestudio Master Contour Face Contouring Pro Palette in Deep to Medium in the hollows of the cheeks and temples. Then Tanno captured an ultra-warm flush by applying the blush to the apples and added a wash of the highlighting shade along the high point of the cheekbones.
- Brows: For definition, arches were traced with Eyestudio Brow Pomade Crayon in Blonde before Eyestudio Brow Drama Mascara in Blonde was brushed over top to lock hairs in place.
- Eyes: Color Tattoo Concentrated Crayon in Barely Beige was first swiped all over the eyelids as a base and was Eyestudio Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Pencil in Soft Nude drawn along the waterline for a wide-awake look. To add a smoldering element, the outer half of the top and bottom lash lines were edged with Eyestudio Color Tattoo Concentrated Crayon in Charcoal Chrome and the matte black shade The Rock Nudes Palette was blended into the creases to create dimension. Then for a fun shock of color neon yellow pigment was brushed on the upper lids and in the inner corners.
- Lashes: Two coats of Lash Sensational Luscious Mascara in Blackest Black made for extra-long lashes — and major drama.
- Lips: “Gigi loves a nude lip and I wanted it to last all night,” Tanno says. Her strategy: she lined ￼and filled in the mouth with Color Sensational Lip Liner in Nude before adding layers of Color Sensational Vivid Matte Liquid in Nude Thrill and Color Sensational The Buffs Lipstick in Bare All.
To complete the look, celebrity stylist Bryce Scarlett debuted Gigi's new fringe with a sleek, sexy style. The subtle "bedhead" vibe added a touch of edginess to the overall effect.
Get the Look:
- Prep hair using the Uberliss Hydrating Shampoo and Uberliss Hydrating Conditioner to add moisture and light weight to the hair.
- While hair is still wet, distribute a dime-sized amount of the Uberliss RituOil and blow-dry hair completely straight.
- Use the Uberliss Titanium Flat Iron throughout the hair until the hair is bone straight.
- Point cut short fringe around the face and flat-iron the bangs using the Uberliss Titanium Flat Iron.
- Add more Uberliss RituOil throughout the hair for a separated and piece-y look with shine.
- Finish by using a texturizing spray on the hair to add a gritty texture.