Celebrity hairstylist Jennifer Yepez recently worked with singer and actress Zendaya for the 12th Annual CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Awards on Monday, November 2 in New York, NY. Yepez created a statement-making, textured top knot for the star, explaining, "This is a look anyone at home can do and it always looks great." Recreate the style with Yepez's how-to below!
Get the Look:
- Says Yepez, "First, I prepped with CHI Total Protect from mid-shaft down, then sprayed with CHI Volume Booster all the way from root to end. I started from the nape, taking sections and blowing her hair dry in an upward motion to make sure I had a nice, smooth ponytail as the foundation. I like to use a Mason Pearson Brush to get the roots really flat. I continued blow-drying all the hair at the back upward, and then blew the front portion dry, brushing backwards.
- "Once I was done blow-drying, I used a hook elastic to make a high ponytail, brushing around the head and down the ponytail to keep everything very smooth. Once the hair was secured, I used a 1-inch curling iron on medium sections to curl the hair and give it just a little bit of texture and movement.
- "I sprayed CHI Infratexture Dual Action Hairspray all over the ponytail. This added more texture and volume, which I really needed for this type of bun.
- "This is different from your usual bun that’s just wrapped around a ponytail. So, after spraying the ponytail, I just scrunch it up into the shape and size I like, and use large hairpins to secure and tuck away the loose ends.
- "Now that I have my textured bun in place, I like to spray a small toothbrush with Enviro 54 Hairspray Firm Hold to smooth fly-aways and make sure it’s all super sleek, below that texture and volume in the bun.
- "To finish, I use hairspray all over the final bun to hold that shape, and there's the perfect textured bun!"