Having earned its reputation as a trendy health food, quinoa also works wonders when incorporated into hair products. “Quinoa has a powerhouse of hair benefits thanks to key minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus, protein and amino acids,” says Richard Jay, educator and stylist for ABBA. “Benefits include repair to the hair shaft, increased moisture and shine, as well as color maintenance.”
Colin Caruso, John Paul Mitchell Systems artistic director of hair color, adds, “Any time you color your hair, you lose amino acids. Since they’re the building blocks of hair, it is essential that you replace them. Quinoa is an ancient grain loaded with amino acids that penetrate into the hair and bond like a magnet, creating a protective shield by defending hair from future damage.” Now that’s a super grain we can get behind!
1) Strand Saver - Paul Mitchell Triple Rescue absorbs oil, leaving strands looking and smelling fresh with the crisp scent of citrus and vanilla.
2) Pump Up the Volume - Verb Volume Shampoo gently cleanses, provides body and protects color.
3) Silky Smooth - Featuring quinoa, organic rose water and apricot kernel oil, John Masters Organics Hair Mask balances moisture levels, strengthens and maintains luster.
4) Total Transformer - Transform dull, dry tresses with Matrix Biolage R.A.W. Nourish Conditioner, which is also infused with coconut oil and kaolin clay for softness and shine.
5) Texture Boost - ABBA Texturizing Cream imparts separation and hold to any style.