Sunday night, The Golden Globes officially kicked off awards season. From sporty updos to glam waves, the red carpet had everything a hair lover could want. Here are a few of our favorites and how to recreate them for your clients!
Valerie Jackson for Oribe
Celebrity hairstylist Valerie Jackson created a 1930s-inspired style on actress Alex Borstein to compliment her embellished red gown and glam makeup for the 2019 Golden Globes. Alex was nominated for her standout role in the hit series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
- Prep hair with Oribe Foundation Mist and blow dry.
- Set hair and brush out. Use Oribe Superfine Hair Spray to sculpt and perfect the shape.
- Spray Oribe Superfine Strong throughout to set the look.
- To finish, apply a small amount of Oribe AirStyle Flexible Finish Cream to smooth flyaways.
Bryce Scarlett for Moroccanoil
Rosamund Pike was on the ballot for her film, A Private War. Stylist Bryce Scarlett said "Tonight’s look was inspired by Rosamund’s custom black and silver Givenchy Couture dress. Her detailed gown was modern and super graphic, and we wanted to make sure that her hair felt sleek sophisticated to go with her gorgeous dress.”
Get The Look:
- On damp hair, use a dime size amount of Moroccanoil Treatment Light to provide the perfect foundation for styling.
- Next apply, Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousseat the roots of the hair and Morccocanoil Blow Dry Concentrateat the ends to create a smooth and sleek blowout.
- Next, create a center part and sleek the hair back into a low ponytail, then secure the hair with Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong.
- Wet the remaining length of the ponytail with the Moroccanoil Luminous HairsprayStrong and comb the hairspray through and then mold the damp hair into a small tight low chignon bun.
- Lastly, mist hair with Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine to finish the look and give it shine.
Adir Abergel for Virtue
For Charlize’s edgy and timeless style, Abergel was inspired by the duality of her beautiful linear Dior gown. Abergel notes, “The color blocking in the dress inspired me to create complementary contrast in the hair with the half up style. I played with dual textures; high shine in the back with soft texture through the front.”
- Abergel began prepping Charlize’s strands the night before, using Virtue Restorative Treatment Mask to infuse hair with moisture and create the healthy foundation for the high shine style. Virtue’s new ColorKick – the first-ever hair filler made from 100% pure, human keratin – was added to Charlize’s coloring process to boost the vibrancy of her color while enhancing and preserving the health of her hair.
- To create the look, Abergel began by creating a deep side part and using the ghd Air Hairdryer to blow dry with a Denman Brush.
- Then, using the ghd Platinum+ Styler, Abergel flat ironed Charlize’s hair in sections for a shiny finish.
- Abergel followed with Virtue Polish Un-Frizz Cream, smoothing throughout from roots to ends. He utilized Virtue Finale Shaping Spray for hold and memory.
Christine Symonds for Aveda
Christine Symonds styled Kaley Cuoco's hair. She said, "We wanted to keep the hair simple, effortless, and cool. Nothing too stiff or over worked. Just pretty, touchable, wearable hair. Because it was the Globes, we had to add a little something special, so we accented the back with some sparkle."
- Prep damp hair with Aveda Speed of Light Blow Dry Accelerator Spray from roots to ends
- Spray Aveda Volumizing Tonic in the roots
- Apply a generous amount of Aveda Smooth Infusion Nourishing Styling Creme on the mid length and ends
- Blow dry hair section by section with a large round brush and set sections with a hair clip and let cool.
- Take out clips and brush through hair with fingers
- Puff some Aveda Shampure Dry Shampoo in the roots for grip, volume, and texture
- Take a 2-inch section on either side of the head and twist back. Secure with Bobby pins at the back of the head
- Distribute a few pumps of Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid in your hands and apply evenly on the ends of hair
- Spray Aveda Air Control Hair Spray over entire style for secure hold
- Spray Aveda Control Force Hair Spray on any stubborn pieces that need extra hold (Kaley needed this on her front pieces)
- Add any adornment you choose for added sparkle or keep the look simple and chic.
Cutting off almost 9 inches of hair, Rowan Blanchard debuted her new short cut at the InStyle and Warner Bros. 2019 Golden Globe Awards After Party. Cut and styled by celebrity hairstylist, Laurie Heaps, Rowan “left the bob in 2018”.
“We drew inspiration from iconic looks," Heaps said. "Think Mia Farrow, Natalie Portman and Edie Sedgwick. But I did not want to re-create past pixies – the look needed to be bolder with more attitude, more edge. Rowan expresses her creativity with her own vision and meaning of what beauty is,” shares Laurie. “Hair is one of the ways you can do this.”
- I started with the OUAI Soft Mousse on wet hair. This gives volume but does not make the hair feel too sticky or stiff which is key. You need the end result to still look soft, yet with shape.
- Next, I rough dried her hair with the ghd Air Professional Performance Hairdryer. I used my fingers for added texture and movement. No brush is needed since this can flatten the look. Quickly moving your fingers back and forth through the cut while drying is important – it is what a short cut like this needs.
- Once hair was dry, I used a combination of CHI’s Spray Wax with the OUAI’s Matte Pomade for texture. The
- wax gives a great hold that is still flexible while the pomade adds more to the piecey nature of the style.
Ashley Ruiz of Nine Zero One Salon wanted Life Size 2 star Fracia Raisa's dress to be the showstopper.
“Francia’s dress is a statement dress and I wanted to give her a strong look for this moment," Ruiz said. "We pulled her hair up in a bun for a bold look to pair with her dress and makeup.
- Francia has very short hair so I split her ponytail into two smaller ones and combined them with extensions.
- I then prepped her hair with IN COMMON Magic Myst and Unite’s 7 Seconds.
- I finished the look off with Oribe’s Super Hold and Unite’s Shine Spray”
[All images courtesy of Instagram]