With a fun atmosphere and quirky award categories (Best Shirtless Moment, anyone?) the MTV Movie Awards, held last Sunday, April 12, are the perfect setting for celebrities to play with fun fashions and statement-making hairstyles. From braids to waves to up-dos, there was a little bit of everything on the MTV red carpet this year.
Redken Artists Summer Sararo, Chiala Marvici and Emily Heser have created 5 hair tutorials inspired by some of the looks seen at the 2015 MTV movie awards, including Shailene Woodley's baby braid, Anna Camp's flowing waves, host Amy Schumer's wispy up-do, performer Charlie XCX's undone 'do, and Holland Roden's pumped up ponytail. Click through to see the how-tos for these 5, award-worthy looks! [pagebreak]
Twisted Up-Do, Inspired by Shailene Woodley
1. Emulsify one pump of Redken braid 08 braid defining lotion into palms and apply to hair from mid-lengths to ends.
2. Use fingers to create a diagonal part and secure one side of the hair with a clip.
3. Take the other section of hair, and twist it to the end, securing with a small, clear elastic.
4. Pull all hair except for the twist back into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic at the base of the head.
5. Emulsify another pump of Redken braid 08 braid defining lotion into the length of the ponytail.
6. Section ponytail into two sections and twist the two sections together, securing with an elastic.
7. Twist ponytail back into a bun and secure with a U-shaped pin, leaving the ends sticking out.
8. Pin the twisted front section of hair back into the base of the bun and secure with a small hair pin.
9. Finish with a mist of Redken control addict 28 high control hairspray to hold the style in place.
Messy Waves, Inspired by Anna Camp
1. Use fingers to separate hair into a half ponytail. Use a clip to hold the top half in place.
2. Mist Redken iron shape 11 finishing thermal spray all over bottom section to give it more hold and protect hair from heat.
3. Take small sections of hair and wrap around a 1-1/2-inch curling iron. Change directions to get casual, loose waves.
4. Let down the top half of the hair, and mist with Redken iron shape 11 finishing thermal spray, working through with your fingers.
5. Create an off-center part with a comb.
6. Take sections of hair around the face and continue wrapping around the curling iron until all hair has been curled.
7. Mist Redken wind blown 05 dry finishing spray all over for soft, tousled texture.
8. Pull back sections of hair from the face and loosely secure with hair pins.
9. Finish by spraying Redken fashion work 12 versatile working spray all over for additional hold and texture.
Undone Bun, Inspired by Amy Schumer
by Emily Heser, Redken Stylist
1. Start by spraying Redken fashion waves 07 sea salt spray all over dry hair to add texture, working into the roots using fingers.
2. Spray Redken quick tease 15 backcombing finishing spray into the roots for additional texture.
3. Pull hair back into a messy ponytail, then twist the length of the ponytail into a bun and secure in the middle of the head with a U-shaped pin.
4. Pull out random sections of hair to achieve the desired look, and finish with another mist of Redken quick tease 15 backcombing finishing spray for added hold.
Soft Waves, Inspired by Charlie XCX
by Emily Heser, Redken Stylist
1. Prep hair with Redken pillow proof blow dry express primer for heat protection and lightweight volume.
2. Emulsify a quarter-size amount of Redken stay high 18 high-hold gel to mousse into palms, and work into hair, concentrating on the roots for maximum volume.
3. Use a flat brush to blow dry hair smooth, lifting at the roots and curving down for lift at the roots.
4. Section off top half of hair, securing with a clip.
5. Section by section, bend hair around a flatiron to create loose waves. Let down the top half of hair, and continue until all hair is curled.
6. Use fingers to separate waves for added texture, and then finish by misting Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist all over for added shine.
Voluminous Ponytail, Inspired by Holland Roden
by Chiala Marvici, Redken Artist
1. Take a section of hair from the top of the head and create some volume by stippling Redken powder grip 03 mattifying hair powder at the roots, working into the hair with fingers.
2. Use fingers to backcomb that section of hair for added volume.
3.Create a side part using a comb, and then spray Redken wind blown 05 dry finishing spray all over hair for added texture.
4. Pull hair back into a low ponytail, securing at the base of the head with an elastic.
5. Spray another mist of Redken wind blown 05 dry finishing spray all over, and then lightly pull hair from the top section to create more volume.
6. Finish with a thorough mist of Redken control addict 28 high control hairspray to hold the style in place.
[Images: Getty Images]