Celebrity hairstylist Cervando Maldonado recently worked with Felicity Jones for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ 2014 Governors Awards on Saturday, November 8th in Hollywood, CA. Said Maldonado, “The inspiration for the look was Classic Hollywood glam with a punk twist," leading to a gorgeous, side-swept style. Below, Maldonado shares the steps to recreate the look for your own guests.
Get the Look:
1. Says Maldonado, "I started on damp hair, prepping it first with Karastase Resistance Volumactive Mousse distributed evenly through the hair. Then, I applied OSCAR BLANDI Pronto Texture & Volume Spray to the roots all over the head and rough-dried the hair with a Harry Josh Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000 until it was completely dry.
2. "I then used an Ibiza Hair EX3 Medium Boar Bristle Brush and blew-out and smoothed the hair, beginning at the front of the head and around the face, and continuing through the rest of the hair.
3. "After that, I used a 1 1/2-inch size T3 Tourmaline Curling Iron throughout to create loose textured waves.
4. "Once done [creating waves], I sprayed SACHAJUAN Volume Powder through the hair to create volume and dry texture. After, I sprayed Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray all over to create even more texture and separation.
5. "Once done, I parted the hair into a deep side part with the end of a bone tail comb to create a severe part in the hair. Then, I slicked back the hair on the left side of the head by using Osmo Clay Wax to hold the hair down in place. After I slicked it down I pulled the hair and wrapped it around the nape of the neck adding black bobby pins to hold it securely in place, creating an asymmetrical look.
6. "Once the hair was secured, I added a dime-size amount of Shu Uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Oil and applied it to the slicked back area to create sheen and a wet look. Once that was set I put the loose remaining hair in pin curls and let it set for about 10 minutes. I then took it down and brushed it with a Mason Pierson brush, creating a gorgeous, loose wave.
7. "Lastly, I sprayed the hair with Sachajuan Super Strong Hairspray creating hold and shine for a chic modern, finished look."
[Image: Steve Granitz via Getty Images]