Hairstylist Ruth Roche recently created this fun, braided look. “I love the idea of looking at hair as a fabric and created this multi-textured, braided, ballerina bun as a shape-over-shape mixed medium concept that looks like overlapping lace. Smooth and textured sections of hair are used to create see-through and opaque sections that mirror lace,” explains Roche.
Get the Look
1. Dry hair with Pureology Pure Volume Instant Levitation Mist and a round brush to create volume.
2. Secure hair into a ponytail at the crown, leaving out a 2” section from the ponytail to create 3-strand braids.
3. Place a hair form (donut) around the ponytail to give shape and pull the edges of the braids away from the center, creating a flatter wider braid with fuzz for a lace-like look.
4. Pin each braid over the surface, covering the entire shape and set with Pureology Strengthening Control Zero Dulling Hairspray to lock in all the work.
5. If you need additional braids, use hair wefts in a matching color and braid with the same technique. Tuck the weft edge that you want to hide under another braid, then arrange braid and pin.
“You could also weave a ribbon or frayed fabric (like the rag-tied Chanel ponytails) through the braid, just use it as one of the 3 sections,” adds Roche.
[Image courtesy of Glow Communications]