For the Spring/Summer 2015 collection, designers at Lisa Folawiyo were inspired by ideas of strength and resilience. Developed during a period of personal tumult, the collections emerges as a depiction of strength, forged by the delicate triumph of Creative Director, Lisa Folawiyo. A feeling of triumph and strength was anchored by the desire to re-create a new visual representation of the Ankara cloth through an original and perfect set of eyes.
To complement the collection, lead hairstylist Mann Nance (owner of tHAIRapy NYC Salon) for RICH Hair Care created long, smooth and modern asymmetrical hair looks with braided tribal accents. Hair was loose, straight and flowing on one side, deep side-parted on the other, with tight braids encircling the head from top to mid-nape and pinned under contrasting longer hair.
“Lisa’s clothes are amazing,” explained Nance. “She has a unique gift of integrating classic African textures, colors and prints with completely modern, universal shapes and silhouettes. I wanted the hair to reflect this – combining a lightness of movement with a rich, bold textural effect. I created additional contrast and reflection by making the hair look almost wet, and added hair extensions on selected models to create a subtle colored ombre hair color effect.”
Get the Look:
1. Says Nance, “I first applied RICH Volume Spray throughout the hair and blow-dried it for a sleek smooth look.
2. “Next, I made a deep diagonal side part from the top of the hairline to behind the ear and to the nape of the neck to serve as a panel to rest the braid I would create.
3. “After spritzing RICH Argan Oil Elixir on hair parted, I made the braid. I used a generous amount of RICH Argan Oil Elixir because I wanted the braided hair to look shiny, almost wet. It’s now one of my favorite products because it absorbs right in and looks so natural - and it’s especially hard to find a good dry oil that can be sprayed on like this.
4. “To further control any fly-aways on the braid once it was made, I lightly sprayed on RICH Argan De-Frizz & Shine Mist.
5. “I then tucked the braid underneath the hair at the nape and pinned it.
6. “Next, for added volume on the rest of the hair, I clipped in HairArt Hair Extensions, mixing solid and ombre colors. I then sprayed RICH Sure Hold Hairspray on one-inch sections, then flat ironed the hair pin straight with a HairArt Ti Infrared 450 Flat Iron to smooth and sleek hair.
7. “To complete, I again used the new RICH Argan De-Frizz & Shine Mist on hair on top of the head to add additional shimmer and complete the effect.”
[Images courtesy of David Webber]