Inspired by Orange is the New Black actress Yael Stone’s sleek and textured dress, celebrity hairstylist Jayson Medina created a chic top knot with a fishtail braid base for last night's Emmy Awards. Medina used Oribe products to achieve the look. Get the how-to below!
Get the Look:
1. Medina first prepped Stone’s hair with Maximista Thickening Spray and separated it into four sections: one large section in the back from ear to ear, and three sections on the top of the head from the brow bone to the crown.
2. Next, Medina pulled the back section up into a high ponytail, using a finishing brush and Superfine Hair Spray to tame any loose hairs.
3. After applying Dry Texturizing Spray to the ponytail, he teased the hair to give it more texture.
4. Then, Medina took a piece of the ponytail out and twisted the remaining hair around into a very loose chignon. The last piece of the ponytail was braided into a loose fishtail and sprayed with more Dry Texturizing Spray. The side sections of the hair were wrapped and pinned around the base of the chignon and set with Superfine Hair Spray to make them sleek and tight. The section at the top of Stone’s head was pulled back and secured into place with a little more height.
5. Finally, the fishtail braid was wrapped around the base of the chignon and secured with hairpins.
[Image: Kevork Djansezian/NBC via Getty Images]