For Spring 2014, Peter Som describes the collection concept as “surf style meets downtown”. The collection is full of iconic sportswear pieces—sweatshirt, moto jacket—and plays with the juxtaposition of menswear and women wear coming together. Peter Som’s signature print/pattern mix can still be found this season with digitized prints, graphic florals, and stripes. Peter Som’s aesthetic is well-known as classic clothing, with an eclectic twist—Surf style goes below 14th Street.
The Look: Contradicting Tension
Peter describes the beauty and hair look as “rock, surfer with a downtown vibe – a soft look with strength and texture.” For Eugene Souleiman, the look is a juxtaposition of sophistication and masculinity. “It feels tough yet romantic, with two opposing processes creating unintentional imperfection.” Inspired by the idea of post grunge femininity, these girls are independent and strong, but also have an undertone of pretty sophistication. Hair is styled to look undone with durable tension to evoke the concept of contradicting hard and soft edges to look almost broken with pulled out free pieces to frame throughout the look.
(click on the next page to create the look!)
1. Start with freshly washed and conditioned hair using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner to ensure hair is in perfect condition.
2. Spray Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz liberally at the roots and throughout the length of the hair. Do not comb through.
3. Blow dry hair upwards at the root in circular motion to create natural volume.
4. Pull hair into a high ponytail, between the occipital and crown and secure with an elastic band.
5. Twist ponytail and tie into a knot, securing with several pins.
6. Spray hair again with Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz and blast with a blow dryer to add more texture to the hair.
7. Gently pull a few pieces of the hair out, creating looseness and imperfection in the look.
8. Finish by pumping a dime size amount of Wella Professionals Oil Reflections into hands, rub together and apply to the roots of the hair in an upwards motion for a shiny texture.
Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner
NEW Wella Professionals Oil Reflection (in salon September 1st, 2013)
Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz
[Images courtesy of Wella Professionals/Hair Styling by Eugene Souleiman, Wella Professionals Global Creative Director of Care & Styling]