With the reveal of Beyoncé’s new pixie ‘do, the cropped cut is gaining traction among celebrities and It Girls alike. Anne Hathaway continues to sport her short 'do with no trace of growing it out and recently, model Coco Rocha has embraced an edgier pixie look.
Short hair is not a jump everyone can make. For those who do, the key to maintaining and embracing it is finding ways to style it. Here are some key tips from L'Oréal Professionnel artists on how to style these short looks:
CHIC, SIDE-SWEPT STYLE, as seen on Anne Hathaway
“The simple side swept look with a hint of shine is great for both work and relaxing weekends,” says Drew Taylor Schaefering, L’Oréal Professionnel Artist. “I recommend L’Oréal Professionnel Mythic Oil to my clients with pixies for shine and moisture especially for the ends.”
• Prep hair with one pump of L’Oréal Professionnel Mythic Oil ($32.00 / LPSalons.com) and spread evenly throughout.
• Create a dramatic side part at the arch of the eyebrow.
• Blow-dry hair using a paddle brush to gently pull the hair flat and over to the parted side to achieve soft to the touch hair.
DRAMATIC, EDGY POMPADOUR, as seen on Coco Rocha
“The modern pompadour is an unexpected look for short hair and is a quick way to transform your style,” says L’Oréal Professionnel Artist, Pepper Pastor.
• Apply L’Oréal Professionnel Mythic Oil Reinforcing Milk ($32.00 / LPSalons.com) to prep hair.
• Mix L’Oréal Professionnel Architexture ($24.50 / LPSalons.com) and L’Oréal Professionnel True Grip ($16.50 / LPSalons.com) in your palms and apply throughout the hair.
• Blow-dry sides and back of the hair, smoothing against head as you work, leaving the top section at the crown for last.
• Diagonally comb hair forward and then blow-dry at the roots for height and lift.
• Finish the look with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 3 ($24.50 / LPSalons.com) for extra hold.
TEXTURED AND TOUSLED, as seen on Carey Mulligan
“Play up your natural texture for an effortless romantic look,” says Pastor. “The soft texture makes this my go to look for short-haired clients looking for a sexy date night look.”
• Spray L’Oréal Professionnel Volumetry Root Spray ($25.50 / LPSalons.com) to towel dried hair.
• Blow-dry hair using fingers.
• Finish the look with a sprinkle L’Oréal Professionnel True Grip Texturizing Powder for added texture and all day hold.