For celebrity makeup artist and former photographer Hector Simancas, translating others’ ideas into works of beauty is part and parcel of the job. As the lead makeup artist on the 16th season of reality fashion competition “Project Runway,” he took direction from various designers—all with divergent visions— during crunch time each episode. But no matter the makeup design requested, Simancas always stays true to his approach to beauty: “When I apply makeup, I try to give the look of flawless skin—almost like a ‘no-makeup’ makeup look—topped with beautiful lashes,” he says, adding, “those are my two top priorities.” Here, Simancas shares the items that help him transform supermodels (think: Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington) as well as reality TV catwalkers.
1) For Tripple-Plying Eyes - Tarte Tartelette Amazonian Clay Matte Palette: “All perfect shades for any eye color with shadows that not only create looks from classic to smoky, but also triple as eyeliner or brow shadows.”
2) For Skipping Mascara - Japonesque Power Curler Eyelash Curler: “This is a very strong and precise tool that I truly believe, if you curl lashes right, you probably won’t need mascara.”
3) For Major Multitasking - Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant: “It can be used as a moisturizer, highlighter and lip balm, to blend with makeup and to clean the face.”
4) For Face Manipulation - Bobbi Brown BBU Palette: “Every color [of] concealer is in this palette! You can cover, contour and highlight all in one product.”
5) For a Flawless Set - Clé de Peau Beauté Translucent Loose Powder: “Truly the best translucent loose powder out there. It can be used on any skin color; if clients have a darker skin tone, use a smaller amount. Use it every day; the product still lasts over a year!”